Advice for Aspiring Automotive Engineers: Apprenticeships, Schools, and Courses

In summary,Logan is looking to go into automotive engineering. He is currently in high school and will be completing the middle college program to eventually graduate with a general associates degree. A few of his fathers friends told him about an apprenticeship-type program that they did with two companies (GM and another I can't recall). If there are any automotive engineers here, Logan would appreciate any information they can provide.
LoganB
Hello, my name is Logan and I'm looking to go into automotive engineering(in the long run). I'm currently in high school and I am doing the middle college program which will allow me to graduate with a general associates degree. A few of my dads friends told me about an apprenticeship-type program that they did with two companies(GM and another I can't recall) where they had a lot of their schooling paid for as they were already working for said company. If there's any automotive engineers here who could give me any information on this type of program(if it still exists) and/or could maybe give me any advice on how to go about becoming an automotive engineer(like suggested schools, courses, etc.), I would absolutely love to hear that. Thank you for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Logan. :smile:

Tagging @Ranger Mike in case he can offer any advice.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF, Logan. :smile:

Tagging @Ranger Mike in case he can offer any advice.
Thank you!

Welcome Logan, nice putt. Had HD myself many years ago.
Wish i could help but when i went to college the DRAFT pretty much geared my career to the military. Found a University that had an automotive course and i could pretty much write my one ticket back then. The students could propose a project and as long as it lined up with the course professors goals, i could do it. I rebnuilt a magnaflux inspection machine. I rebuilt an engine dynometer. Made a cylinder head flow bench from scratch. Other courses helped big time like solid concentration in Physics. I suspect you can do the same but takes some time to research. We had no internet back then so had to do leg work myself. Since i had been racing since 1963 i was privy to many race crews and could pick their brains and finally located my college. Seems the professor was racing in SCCA and ran a formula car that 5 years earlier had run Indy...i was in heaven. Then i graduated from ROTC and live really got real!

Likes berkeman
Ranger Mike said:
Welcome Logan, nice putt. Had HD myself many years ago.
Wish i could help but when i went to college the DRAFT pretty much geared my career to the military. Found a University that had an automotive course and i could pretty much write my one ticket back then. The students could propose a project and as long as it lined up with the course professors goals, i could do it. I rebnuilt a magnaflux inspection machine. I rebuilt an engine dynometer. Made a cylinder head flow bench from scratch. Other courses helped big time like solid concentration in Physics. I suspect you can do the same but takes some time to research. We had no internet back then so had to do leg work myself. Since i had been racing since 1963 i was privy to many race crews and could pick their brains and finally located my college. Seems the professor was racing in SCCA and ran a formula car that 5 years earlier had run Indy...i was in heaven. Then i graduated from ROTC and live really got real!
Thank you so much! I love my bike(it's a custom built by myself, my dad, and a few friends), and I'm glad you like it. Thank you for the advice, I will certainly continue looking into everything!

1. What is automotive engineering?

Automotive engineering is a branch of engineering that involves designing, manufacturing, and operating vehicles such as cars, motorcycles, trucks, buses, and other types of automobiles. It combines elements of mechanical, electrical, electronic, and software engineering to create efficient and safe vehicles.

2. What skills are required for a career in automotive engineering?

A career in automotive engineering requires a strong foundation in math and science, as well as good problem-solving and analytical skills. Knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD), computer-aided engineering (CAE), and computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) software is also important. Good communication and teamwork skills are also essential for working in this field.

3. What are some common challenges faced by automotive engineers?

Some common challenges in automotive engineering include meeting strict safety and environmental regulations, designing vehicles that are fuel-efficient and cost-effective, and keeping up with advancements in technology. Engineers also need to consider factors such as ergonomics, reliability, and durability when designing vehicles.

4. How can I become an automotive engineer?

To become an automotive engineer, you will typically need a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. Some employers may also prefer candidates with a master's degree. It is also helpful to gain experience through internships or co-op programs. Continuing education and staying up-to-date with industry developments can also help advance your career in automotive engineering.

5. What is the future of automotive engineering?

The future of automotive engineering is focused on developing more efficient, environmentally-friendly, and technologically advanced vehicles. This includes advancements in electric and autonomous vehicles, as well as incorporating more sustainable materials and production methods. As the demand for vehicles continues to increase, automotive engineers will play a crucial role in shaping the future of transportation.