Advice for Aspiring Automotive Engineers: Apprenticeships, Schools, and Courses

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
LoganB
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hello, my name is Logan and I'm looking to go into automotive engineering(in the long run). I'm currently in high school and I am doing the middle college program which will allow me to graduate with a general associates degree. A few of my dads friends told me about an apprenticeship-type program that they did with two companies(GM and another I can't recall) where they had a lot of their schooling paid for as they were already working for said company. If there's any automotive engineers here who could give me any information on this type of program(if it still exists) and/or could maybe give me any advice on how to go about becoming an automotive engineer(like suggested schools, courses, etc.), I would absolutely love to hear that. Thank you for reading!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome Logan, nice putt. Had HD myself many years ago.
Wish i could help but when i went to college the DRAFT pretty much geared my career to the military. Found a University that had an automotive course and i could pretty much write my one ticket back then. The students could propose a project and as long as it lined up with the course professors goals, i could do it. I rebnuilt a magnaflux inspection machine. I rebuilt an engine dynometer. Made a cylinder head flow bench from scratch. Other courses helped big time like solid concentration in Physics. I suspect you can do the same but takes some time to research. We had no internet back then so had to do leg work myself. Since i had been racing since 1963 i was privy to many race crews and could pick their brains and finally located my college. Seems the professor was racing in SCCA and ran a formula car that 5 years earlier had run Indy...i was in heaven. Then i graduated from ROTC and live really got real!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
Ranger Mike said:
Welcome Logan, nice putt. Had HD myself many years ago.
Wish i could help but when i went to college the DRAFT pretty much geared my career to the military. Found a University that had an automotive course and i could pretty much write my one ticket back then. The students could propose a project and as long as it lined up with the course professors goals, i could do it. I rebnuilt a magnaflux inspection machine. I rebuilt an engine dynometer. Made a cylinder head flow bench from scratch. Other courses helped big time like solid concentration in Physics. I suspect you can do the same but takes some time to research. We had no internet back then so had to do leg work myself. Since i had been racing since 1963 i was privy to many race crews and could pick their brains and finally located my college. Seems the professor was racing in SCCA and ran a formula car that 5 years earlier had run Indy...i was in heaven. Then i graduated from ROTC and live really got real!
Thank you so much! I love my bike(it's a custom built by myself, my dad, and a few friends), and I'm glad you like it. Thank you for the advice, I will certainly continue looking into everything!