Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Advice on accelerating deuterons in a tokamak like chamber

1. Mar 24, 2016 #1
    I was wondering if it is possible to setup a Tokamak like chamber with some sort of varying magnetic field arrangement around it, that can accelerate deuterons or other light nuclei, as if those nuclei were 'pulled' by a constant electric field of between 1kV and 100 kV (n.b. this should not vary during the experiment) and at the same time force the nuclei to travel in a circular orbit inside the toroid?

Take a common ion source; some mechanism ionizes the deuterium or whatever and at the same time an extraction voltage is applied that shoots them out, so to speak. I want this done by a varying magnetic field continuously and at the same time the particles should travel inside the toroid. Can this be done and if so how?

S.A.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Mar 29, 2016 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Since no one answered this, I will.

1. We already know that field geometry such as the TM01 mode produces an axial accelerating field. This is a rather common geometry used in many particle accelerators.

2. We already have facilities that accelerates nuclei, while keeping them moving "in a circle". RHIC, and even the LHC do this. So how is this any different than what you want to do?

3. You are forgetting that the whole point in all of this is to cause a collision/fusion between the deuterium nuclei. Causing them to all accelerate and shoot out together do not accomplish that because all of them will move in the same direction at the same time.

BTW, this is more of a topic related to classical E&M/accelerators rather than HEP/Nuclear physics.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted