Advice on choosing a Monograph topic

In summary, a senior undergraduate is seeking suggestions for a Monograph related to Quantum effects in Gravity or QFT in curved space-time. They have taken courses in GR and QFT, and are planning to take an advanced QFT course. They are looking for a manageable topic that will yield results and can be completed in 6 months with the help of a faculty mentor.
loops496
Hello everyone,

I'm a senior undergraduate and I'm planing to do a Monograph related to Quantum effects in Gravity (Hawking radiation or something similar(?)) or even some QFT in curved space-time (maybe ambitious since I know this is VERY HARD and I don't have much time), the thing is I can't decide an specific topic to work on that that isn't going to kill me in the 6 months I have to work on it and where I can get some nice results to show. So fellow forumers I will greatly appreciate any suggestions you can give me to choose a topic to work on.

BTW I have taken courses in GR and QFT and I believe I have a very good understanding. I plan to take an advanced QFT course and I'm fairly good at mathematics. I have taken all undergraduate physics courses, three graduate physics courses, and some undergraduate math courses.

Maybe some of you can help me decide.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are other research areas that are more accessible to an undergraduate. You really need a topic in a field where a faculty mentor is confident you can succeed.

1. What is a monograph topic?

A monograph topic is a specific and focused subject or theme that is the focus of a research paper or book. It is typically an in-depth study of a particular subject, often related to a specific field of study or discipline.

2. How do I choose a monograph topic?

Choosing a monograph topic involves considering your interests, expertise, and the current state of research in your field. It is important to choose a topic that is relevant and interesting to you, as well as one that has not been extensively researched already.

3. Can I change my monograph topic after I have started my research?

Yes, it is possible to change your monograph topic after you have started your research. However, it is important to discuss this with your advisor or supervisor to ensure that the new topic is feasible and aligns with the requirements of your project.

4. How do I make sure my monograph topic is original?

To ensure your monograph topic is original, you should conduct a thorough literature review to identify any existing research on the same or similar topics. You can also discuss your ideas with colleagues or your advisor to get feedback and make sure your topic is unique.

5. How do I narrow down my monograph topic?

Narrowing down your monograph topic involves defining the scope of your research and identifying specific research questions or objectives. You can also consider the limitations of your resources and time to help narrow down your topic to a manageable and focused area of study.