Advice on engineering vs eng. tech path

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in mechanics and electronics, their realization that they do not enjoy math, and their confusion between pursuing engineering or engineering technology. The conversation also touches on the differences between engineering and engineering technology programs and the potential career opportunities for each. Ultimately, the advice given is to thoroughly research and consider career options before committing to a degree.
unclesam93
During high school I messed around and it wasn't until senior year that I started to get into mechanics and electronics, things that I never specially did before. My entire life I was the type of person to take things apart to see how they worked, played with legos and had an interest in the way things worked.

I absolutely love anything hands on, working on cars, doing some simple circuits, machines. I interpreted these interests as a notification that I would like Mechanical or Electrical Engineering. Having just completed my first semester of college (community, so as to not waste money making sure I actually liked it) I realized that I really don't like math. I never have, and I don't think I ever will. The thing is, I've never taking physics, but I have my brothers college engineering physics textbook which I greatly enjoy reading for fun and I learn immensely from it.

Basically, I don't think I have what it takes to get through the rigorous, theoretical side of engineering. Should I just stick with engineering or do engineering technology? Also, I'm still confused with eng. tech. How much could I do with that? I've heard that they are just the engineer's maid. I know without a doubt that I could learn all of the more hands on parts of engineering and be the best in that part.

Physics news on Phys.org
With an engineering technology degree the glass ceilings on your career development will be set much lower than if you have a "pure" engineering degree. Engineering degrees are more valuable in the workplace than EET degrees.

fss said:
With an engineering technology degree the glass ceilings on your career development will be set much lower than if you have a "pure" engineering degree. Engineering degrees are more valuable in the workplace than EET degrees.

i heard this was true in the US vs other countries. it seems like they put degrees on a pedastal more than anything. i think more respect should be given to eng. techs because arent they the ones who put the theory into an actual working product?

jorano said:
i heard this was true in the US vs other countries. it seems like they put degrees on a pedastal more than anything. i think more respect should be given to eng. techs because arent they the ones who put the theory into an actual working product?

I think the engineers take the theory and turn it into an actual product, the tech's then take this knowledge and do the physical construction.
"The distinction between engineering and engineering technology emanates primarily from differences in their educational programs. Engineering programs are geared toward development of conceptual skills, and consist of a sequence of engineering fundamentals and design courses, built on a foundation of complex mathematics and science courses. Engineering technology programs are oriented toward application, and provide their students introductory mathematics and science courses, and only a qualitative introduction to engineering fundamentals. Thus, engineering programs provide their graduates a breadth and depth of knowledge that allows them to function as designers. Engineering technology programs prepare their graduates to apply others' designs."

So if you like being more hands on, the tech route is for you, as long as the money is acceptable. My best advice is to not force yourself to get a degree, even if you like the subject. Do a lot of research and make sure you like the careers associated with that degree and that there are jobs available for that degree. Engineers may be in higher demand than technologists, I'm not sure. The worst thing to do is waste 4 years getting a degree and find out it is near worthless.

First of all, it's great that you have discovered your interests in mechanics and electronics and have a strong passion for hands-on work. It's important to pursue a career path that aligns with your interests and strengths.

Engineering and engineering technology are both valuable fields with different focuses. Engineering is more theoretical and involves designing and developing new technologies, while engineering technology is more practical and focuses on the application and implementation of existing technologies. Both paths require a strong understanding of math and physics, but engineering technology may be a better fit for you if you have a stronger preference for hands-on work.

It's important to note that engineering technology is not a lesser field compared to engineering. Both are important and necessary for the advancement of technology and innovation. In fact, many successful engineers have a background in engineering technology.

If you are concerned about your ability to handle the theoretical side of engineering, it may be a good idea to explore engineering technology programs and see if they align with your interests and strengths. You can also speak with advisors or professionals in both fields to get a better understanding of the differences and potential career paths.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to choose a path that you are passionate about and can see yourself excelling in. Both engineering and engineering technology offer fulfilling and rewarding careers, so it's important to choose the one that is the best fit for you. Good luck in your decision-making process!

1. What is the main difference between engineering and engineering technology?

Engineering is a more theoretical and research-based field, focusing on the design and development of new technologies and processes. Engineering technology, on the other hand, is more hands-on and practical, with a focus on implementing and maintaining existing technologies.

2. Which path is better for someone who wants to work in the industry?

Both engineering and engineering technology paths can lead to successful careers in the industry. It ultimately depends on your personal strengths and interests. If you enjoy problem-solving and theoretical work, engineering may be a better fit. If you prefer hands-on work and implementing technology, engineering technology may be a better choice.

3. Will one path lead to higher paying jobs?

In general, both engineering and engineering technology jobs have high earning potential. However, salaries may vary depending on the specific job, industry, and location. It's important to research and consider the job market for both paths before making a decision.

4. Can you switch between engineering and engineering technology paths?

While both paths have different focuses, it is possible to switch between them. However, it may require additional education or training to make the transition. It's important to carefully consider your career goals and interests before making a switch.

5. Which path is more suitable for someone interested in research and development?

Engineering is generally more suited for individuals interested in research and development, as it involves more theoretical and innovative work. However, there may be opportunities for research and development in engineering technology fields as well, depending on the specific job and industry.