Advice on my outline on undergraduate physics curriculum

In summary, Kleppner is good but you may need to buy more expensive copies of some of the texts if you want to learn more about Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics. Taylor is a more advanced book but may be too verbose for some people. Electricity and Magnetism by Purcell is an excellent intermediate level text that is comparable to Kleppner in depth and difficulty.
shinobi20
I have studied physics during my undergraduate years but I want to relearn everything as I came to my realization that I'm weak because of the quality of education I got. So far, I want to know if my order of study is good.

Classical Mechanics:
An Introduction to Mechanics by Kleppner and Kolenkow

Electromagnetism:
Introduction to Electrodynamics by Griffiths

Quantum Mechanics:
Quantum Mechanics by Zettili

Thermodynamics:
Thermal Physics by Kittel

Now my question is, does kleppner suffice as a mechanics text for the whole undergraduate curriculum (regardless of lagrangian and hamiltonian)? Because I think kleppner is good but I don't know where to study lagrangian and hamiltonian, given that kleppner already covered all Newtonian mechanics. I tried to read books by Gregory, Fowles, Finch, Taylor,etc in Classical Mechanics but I still think that Kleppner is far superior in the Newtonian part, but the problem is that it doesn't involve lagrangian and hamiltonian. Any advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not use two books for classical mechanics? First, use K&K for Newtonian mechanics, then switch to one of the others for Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics.

That is a possibility which I already thought of but I'm thinking, which one is the best book to learn lagrangian and hamiltonian?

I used Taylor and Marion in my lagrangian/hamiltonian course. Taylor is expensive though so maybe just start with a used copy of an old edition of Marion for dirt cheap.

My undergrad electromagnetism course officially used Griffiths but I'm pretty sure our instructor got most of the lecture material and assignments from Jackson and some other obscure grad level text I can't remember at the moment.

Griffiths' quantum mechanics is also good.

I don't mind buying more expensive copies. I just want to know which one is better, I think Taylor is too verbose.

Griffiths is a more advanced book on E&M. Depending on your comfort with the introductory level material, you may be better suited to use Electricity & Magnetism by Purcell. It's an excellent intermediate level treatment that's comparable to K&K for classical mechanics in depth and difficulty.

1. What should be included in a comprehensive undergraduate physics curriculum?

A comprehensive undergraduate physics curriculum should cover topics such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and modern physics. It should also include laboratory work, problem-solving skills, and computational methods.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts while studying?

To improve your understanding of physics concepts, you should actively engage in class discussions, practice solving problems, and seek help from your professors or peers when needed. Additionally, using visual aids and real-life examples can also aid in understanding complex concepts.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong math background for studying physics?

Having a strong math background is essential for studying physics. Physics heavily relies on mathematical principles and equations, so a solid understanding of algebra, calculus, and other branches of math is crucial for success in the subject.

4. How can I prepare for a physics course in college?

To prepare for a physics course in college, it is recommended to review fundamental concepts from high school physics and math. Familiarizing yourself with the course material and practicing problem-solving can also help you feel more confident and prepared for the course.

5. Are there any resources available for further studying physics outside of class?

Yes, there are many resources available for further studying physics outside of class. These include textbooks, online lecture videos, practice problems, and study groups. Your professors may also have recommended resources for additional help and understanding of the material.