1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice on my outline on undergraduate physics curriculum

1. May 20, 2015 #1
    I have studied physics during my undergraduate years but I want to relearn everything as I came to my realization that I'm weak because of the quality of education I got. So far, I want to know if my order of study is good.

Classical Mechanics:
    An Introduction to Mechanics by Kleppner and Kolenkow

Electromagnetism:
    Introduction to Electrodynamics by Griffiths

Quantum Mechanics:
    Quantum Mechanics by Zettili

Thermodynamics:
    Thermal Physics by Kittel

Now my question is, does kleppner suffice as a mechanics text for the whole undergraduate curriculum (regardless of lagrangian and hamiltonian)? Because I think kleppner is good but I don't know where to study lagrangian and hamiltonian, given that kleppner already covered all newtonian mechanics. I tried to read books by Gregory, Fowles, Finch, Taylor,etc in Classical Mechanics but I still think that Kleppner is far superior in the Newtonian part, but the problem is that it doesn't involve lagrangian and hamiltonian. Any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2015 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Why not use two books for classical mechanics? First, use K&K for Newtonian mechanics, then switch to one of the others for Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics.

4. May 20, 2015 #3
    That is a possibility which I already thought of but I'm thinking, which one is the best book to learn lagrangian and hamiltonian?

5. May 20, 2015 #4

esuna

Gold Member

I used Taylor and Marion in my lagrangian/hamiltonian course. Taylor is expensive though so maybe just start with a used copy of an old edition of Marion for dirt cheap.

My undergrad electromagnetism course officially used Griffiths but I'm pretty sure our instructor got most of the lecture material and assignments from Jackson and some other obscure grad level text I can't remember at the moment.

Griffiths' quantum mechanics is also good.

6. May 21, 2015 #5
    I don't mind buying more expensive copies. I just want to know which one is better, I think Taylor is too verbose.

7. May 23, 2015 #6

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Griffiths is a more advanced book on E&M. Depending on your comfort with the introductory level material, you may be better suited to use Electricity & Magnetism by Purcell. It's an excellent intermediate level treatment that's comparable to K&K for classical mechanics in depth and difficulty.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted