1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Advice on REU application for math

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on writing personal statements. Is there anything I should absolutely say or anything I should absolutely not say? What should the focus be?

Should it go something like: why I like math, what kind of math I like, any relevant experiences with math I have, and why I think I would be a good researcher? Should I talk about why I like math? Should I talk about the specific projects at that school and how that fits in with my interests (so like a statement of interest in my personal statement)?

Also, I was talking to a classmate and she said when she applied for an REU she talked about math on a nonpersonal level, as well, as in how she believes math is beneficial to the entire world. Is this something I should go into great detail about?

I am planning to speak to at least one of my professors about this, but any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2012 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook