Advice sought on UK Masters degrees

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on the difficulty and suitability of various physics masters courses after completing their Natural Sciences BSc at UEA. They list the maths and physics courses they have taken in their degree and mention studying additional physics outside of their degree. They are interested in the QFFF course at ICL, EPT at Durham, Theoretical Physics at KCL, Theoretical Physics at Surrey, and are wondering if their background is sufficient for these courses. They also ask for suggestions on other theoretical physics masters courses and what additional material they should be studying. Another individual mentions the difficulty of getting into these courses and advises checking out handbooks for suggested background reading. They also recommend mentioning these books in interviews. The individual also mentions doing the
xGAME-OVERx
Hello.

I am intending to apply to some physics masters courses after my Natural Sciences BSc at UEA. I wonder if anyone could give me any advice as to the difficulty of the courses and my suitability for them? I have asked the admissions departments, but as one would expect, they are busy and thus have given very short replies.

My Natural Sciences degree includes a few maths courses (Astrophysics, Mechanics & Modelling, Calculus, Quantum Mechanics, Statistical Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, Dynamical Systems) along with more general maths courses that include vector calculus, Fourier series, fluid mechanics, matrices, numerical methods, solid mechanics & differential equations. In addition there has been a lot of chemical physics, including some optics, more Quantum mechanics, and some QED soon.

I am also furiously studying extra physics outside of my degree.

The degrees I am interested in are QFFF at ICL, EPT at Durham, Theoretical Physics at KCL, Theoretical Physics at Surrey.

Does my background sound enough to handle these courses? I am averaging around 85% so far in my BSc. Can anyone suggest other Theoretical phys masters, or what material I should be studying on top of my degree?

Thanks in advance
Scott Smith

Physics news on Phys.org
I think those course you mentioned are really hard to get into. But you seem like you have a good background.

Check out the handbooks for suggested background reading, and read the books recommended. They should integrate well with what are you are doing anyway. But don't let extra reading damage your 85% average.

For example, read the last few pages of:

https://www8.imperial.ac.uk/content/dav/ad/workspaces/theoreticalphysics/MSc/handbook0910.pdf

Try and mention the books in interview ("As Davies points out in his QM book...") That will show you really care about the course enough to take their advice before even taking the course. Good Brownie points for that! Plus the books recommended are really good books...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,
I am doing the QFFF course at ICL at the moment, buzz me if you got questions.

Check this course too: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/phys/admissions/msc/hep

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen that actually, but self funding a 2 year course in London is out of the question - couldn't do it without a studentship. Are you currently on that course?

No, although I would have liked to. Today I have my last (and hardest) exam that completes my UoL Intercollegiate MSci. Means I have the luxury of choosing 4th year courses from any of UCL, KCL, QMUL and RHUL. Happy to answer any questions you might have :)

well, I am going to apply for the 2 year SEPnet Euromasters at QM (again, would need funding), and the theoretical masters at KCL, both of which would allow me access me to intercollegiate courses I think, so I'd be interested to know which courses you've taken and how well taught they are, etc..

Is yours an extension to a BSc, or a standalone Masters?

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a Masters degree in the UK?

Pursuing a Masters degree in the UK can provide numerous benefits, such as gaining a deeper understanding of your field of study, enhancing your research skills, and increasing your career opportunities. Additionally, studying in the UK allows you to experience a new culture and network with international students and professionals.

2. What are the entry requirements for a UK Masters degree?

The specific entry requirements vary depending on the university and program, but in general, you will need a Bachelor's degree from a recognized institution and proof of proficiency in the English language. Some programs may also require relevant work experience and/or letters of recommendation.

3. How long does it take to complete a Masters degree in the UK?

The duration of a Masters degree in the UK can range from one to two years, depending on the program and whether you choose to study full-time or part-time. Some programs may also offer the option of an accelerated or extended study period.

4. What are the costs associated with pursuing a Masters degree in the UK?

The tuition fees for a Masters degree in the UK vary depending on the university and program, but on average, international students can expect to pay between £10,000 to £20,000 per year. It is important to also consider other expenses such as accommodation, living costs, and travel expenses.

5. Can international students work while studying a Masters degree in the UK?

Yes, international students are allowed to work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) during term time and full-time during holidays. However, it is important to check the specific visa regulations and limitations before taking on any employment.