Advice wanted: online chat - text or voice

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chat Text
In summary, my beau wants to start up a chat room for a select group of people using computers, but is having trouble finding a suitable program. He is also considering an IRC chatroom.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I (or more accurately, my beau) want to start up a chat room.

- I am open about whether it is voice or text-only. In fact, I am open about whether it uses computers at all. (If someone could tell me how I could get a conference phone call going at a reasonable rate.)
- it's for a select group of people (~ a dozen) - by invite only
- the time is fixed, so we only need it open for a 2 hour window each few weeks
- I'd have to get the intended participants up-to-speed software-install-wise

I've tried MSN Messenger, but it's voice feature allows only two people.
Yahoo doesn't allow creation of new rooms, thus, I can't make it private.
Skype is just scary.

Advice?

Computer science news on Phys.org
What's wrong with skype? It's free to use and has a conference feature of up to 4 people. Have you ever heard of the poweruser podcast?

http://www.poweruser.tv/

They use skype can it sounds very good.

dduardo said:
What's wrong with skype?
1] As per my requirements, it needs to support more than 4.
2] Their v2 s/w didn't work AT ALL last time I checked, it just fails outright. Maybe they've fixed it.

If you need more than 4 people then text is going to be the only way. The bandwidth requirements for more than 4 voice streams is just too excessive for an ordinary broadband user.

How about an IRC chatroom?

dduardo said:
If you need more than 4 people then text is going to be the only way. The bandwidth requirements for more than 4 voice streams is just too excessive for an ordinary broadband user.
I agree, voice was an option with Cu See Me and when newbies would enter a reflector and start talking it would eat all the bandwidth, they either stopped at our "request" or got banned.

Your only other option, that I am aware of, would be a pay service for voice, not sure what you consider cheap.

Last edited:
dduardo said:
How about an IRC chatroom?
OK, I looked at that and have installed it locally to test. (I guess I'm instralling a client, not a host. I thought I"d be setting up a host in my Domain or something.)

So, are my users going to have to go through the same procedure? Do I set up my "channel" and tell them how to find it?

http://www.freejavachat.com/setup.html"
You can set up your own free chat room here, and boot unfamiliar people.
More about the website is located at the url below.

http://www.freejavachat.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:
there are voice programs that are commonly used in games that you might be able to use..You'd have to hav ea host server...but i think their free.

Ventrilo and teamspeak are 2 commonly used in games...they house a lot more than 4...and several chatrooms on one server..

I personally use Ventrilo. If you have high-speed internet, you can use your own computer as the server. When I want to chat, I simply startup the server software. This then allows myself and those with whom I wish to talk to connect using the client software. It is quite simple.

The initial setup up the host server simply requires forwarding a port, enabling DMZ on your local IP address (in most cases), opening the server, then connecting via IP address.

What are the benefits of using online chat for advice?

Using online chat for advice offers convenience, as it can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection. It also allows for anonymity, which can be helpful for discussing sensitive topics. Additionally, online chat can provide a written record of the conversation for future reference.

Is it more effective to communicate through text or voice for advice?

The effectiveness of communication through text or voice depends on personal preference. Some people may find it easier to express themselves through writing, while others may prefer talking. It is important to choose the method that makes you feel most comfortable and able to communicate effectively.

How can I find a reliable source for online chat advice?

There are many websites and forums that offer online chat advice, so it is important to do your research and choose a reputable source. Look for websites with verified experts or professionals, and read reviews or testimonials from previous users.

Are there any potential downsides to using online chat for advice?

One potential downside of using online chat for advice is the lack of nonverbal cues, such as body language and tone of voice, which can make it more difficult to fully understand the other person's message. Additionally, there is a risk of receiving inaccurate or biased advice from unqualified individuals.

Can online chat advice be as effective as in-person advice?

The effectiveness of online chat advice can vary depending on the situation and the individuals involved. In some cases, online chat may be just as effective as in-person advice, while in others, face-to-face interaction may be more beneficial. It ultimately depends on the individual's needs and preferences.