1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerodynamics - Standard Atmosphere problem

1. Sep 17, 2006 #1
    Here's the problem:
    We are ascending in an elevator at sea level. Our eardrums feel a 1 percent decrease in pressure per minute. Calculate the upward speed of the elevator.
    My solution:
    *I am using the equation p1/p0 = (T1/T0)^(-g/aR), where p1 and p0 are pressure at point 1 and point 0, respectively.
    *T1 and T0 are temperatures at point 1 and 0, g is acceleration due to gravity, a is the slope of the first gradient layer (Temperature/Altitude), and R is the specific gas constant for air.
    *In the context of the problem, we know that p1 = .9 p0, T0 = 288.16K (temperature at sea level), g= 9.8 m/s^2, a = -.0065 K/m (from temperature distribution graph in textbook), and R = 287 J/kg K.
    *Plugging these values into my equation and solving for T1, I get T1 = 282.4382 K.
    *Since the temp./altitude distribution is a straight line for this region, I know T1 = T0 + a(h-h0).
    *h0 is zero, so plugging in and solving for h I obtain h = 880 m.
    *Since this took place in the course of a minute (which is the time for a 10% pressure decrease to occur, according to the problem), the velocity is 880m/min upward.

This seems a little fast? Did I do things right?

I would appreciate any input!
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2006 #2
    I would assign a random value for displacement - say 100m, you can use resources to find the values for temp and pressure etc at that height and then sub that into your formular for point 2, to either check or to help solve...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?