Simple heat transfer problem and temperature change

In summary, the homework statement states that the temperature change during one second of a polypropylene solid with mass 0.1 g at 105 degC to air at 20 degC is 4.7 * 10^-3 degC.
theodore100

Homework Statement

What is the expected temperature change during one second of a polypropylene solid with mass 0.1 g at 105 degC to air at 20 degC

Homework Equations

heat transfer: Q= c m (T1-T0)
where Q = amount of heat
c = specific heat capacity = 1.8 J/g/K
m = mass
T1-T0 = change in temperature

Newton's law thermal cooling:
Q = -h.A.dT(t)

Q = heat lost
h = heat transfer coefficient for polypropylene = 0.2
A = area, small object = approx. 0.5 cm^2
Temperature differential, constant at 105-20

The Attempt at a Solution

T1-T0 = Q / c m = Q / 1.8 * 0.1

Therefore:

T1-T0 = (-0.2 * 5*10^-5 * 85) / (1.8 * 0.1) = 4.7 * 10^-3 degC

i.e. a very very small temperature drop in one second. Does this look right?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi theodore100, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Be careful with your unit conversions. 1 gram is not 0.1kg.

Hi and thanks for the welcome.
I have got my units a bit mixed up, but the 0.1 is for the c * m calculation, c being in units of J/g/K. I will try it again with everything in Kg.

I get the same answer:
c in J/kg/K = 1800

T1-T0 = (-0.2 * 5*10^-5 * 85) / (1800 * 1*10^-4) = -0.0047

I'm guessing that the area has to be in m and 0.5 cm^2 is 5*10^-5 m^2 ?

Okay, provided that your units are in order, then your result looks good.

This presumes that the constant h really is the heat transfer coefficient for polypropylene to air (I've seen similar values for heat conductivity for polypropylene and it's curious that they would be the same value). Were you given units for h?

No, I wasn't given h, I googled it.. so yes, it might be wrong.

ok, this is interesting.. it might be more like 24 W/m^2 K
so the answer could be as high as 0.564 which sounds more realistic. I think I have the right approach, which is the main thing. Thanks.

Okay.

I should also note that heat loss by radiation is being ignored. Emissivity of PP is pretty high, around 0.97 if I recall correctly. You might check to see which mode of heat loss would dominate.

1. What is a simple heat transfer problem?

A simple heat transfer problem involves the transfer of thermal energy between two objects or substances at different temperatures. It can also refer to the change in temperature of a single object over time due to external factors.

2. How is heat transferred?

Heat can be transferred through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. What factors affect the rate of heat transfer?

The rate of heat transfer is affected by the temperature difference between the two objects, the thermal conductivity of the materials involved, the surface area of contact, and the distance between the objects.

4. How does temperature change during heat transfer?

During heat transfer, thermal energy is transferred from the warmer object to the cooler object. This causes the temperature of the warmer object to decrease and the temperature of the cooler object to increase until they reach thermal equilibrium.

5. What is thermal equilibrium?

Thermal equilibrium is reached when two objects at different temperatures are in contact and there is no longer a net transfer of heat between them. At this point, the temperatures of the two objects are equal.