Aerodynamics textbook at the graduate physics level

In summary: Theoretical and applied aerodynamics by J.J. Chattot and M.M. Hafez is a great book for those that want a deeper dive into fluid physics and less of the nuts and bolts.
TOAsh2004
Hello,

Can someone recommend me a good textbook to (self-)study aerodynamics, optimally with focus on aircrafts. I am a graduated student in physics and therefore familiar with all the basic concepts of fluiddynamics and calculus. But, apart from that, I have no further knowledge in the field of aerodynamics.
Thanks in advance.

Greetings

Physics news on Phys.org
@boneh3ad and @Chestermiller are experts on Fluid dynamics in these forums maybe they can recommend you a specific book for aerodynamics.

Likes TOAsh2004 and vanhees71
Thanks a lot,

Ill contact them.

Greetings

Likes Delta2
TOAsh2004 said:
Ill contact them.
No, we discourage unsolicited PMs. Just wait for them to get the notification from the tags that @Delta2 posted. Thanks.

• Wow
Likes Delta2
Ok, sorry, I'll remember it for the future.

Likes Delta2
TOAsh2004 said:
Ok, sorry, I'll remember it for the future.
No worries. :smile:

Can you say what textbooks you have found so far that seem like good candidates? Often you can find them on Amazon and use the "Look Inside" feature to see the Table of Contents and sometimes a few excerpts to see if they look good for your purpose.

Likes Delta2
Sure,

the first one was the "Fundamentals of Aerodynamics" by J. Anderson: https://www.amazon.de/dp/1259129918/ which was recommended in different places, but looks more like undergraduated stuff.

The second one was the "Theoretical Aerodynamics" by Ethirajan Rathakrishnan, this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1118479343/?tag=pfamazon01-20 . It looks more advanced (it also says it is for advanced undergraduated and graduated students) and makes a good impression, but it also seems to have a huge section on basics of fluiddynamics, which ist already known to me and which I cannot see in the "look inside" and therefore don't know on which level it is written.

The third an last one was "Theoretical and applied aerodynamics" by J.J. Chattot & M.M. Hafez, this one: https://www.amazon.de/dp/9401798249/ . That one looks very fitting to me, since it seems to have in-depth treatment of the advanced theoretical stuff as well as the connection to application (numerics). Also, the authors say its written for first year graduate students. But, it only has one rating and no customer reviews, so I don't really know if its considered a good textbook.

Thats what I had found so far.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and Delta2
Of the three you've found so far the only one I'm familiar with is Anderson. It is definitely more geared toward undergraduates but will have the broadest coverage of the topic. Bertin and Cummings is also good but similar.

I'm a little hesitant to suggest too much "graduate" content if you don't have a solid footing in undergraduate material if your goal is is more general aerodynamics/aircraft knowledge. If you're wanting a deeper dive into fluid physics and less of the nuts and bolts then that might make more sense.

• Informative
Likes TOAsh2004
Thanks for the advice! So I guess I'll go with Anderson or Cummings since indeed my main goal is a general aerodynamics knowledge, especially with regards to aircraft. Since I generally prefer books focussing a bit more on equations, is there one of those two of which you would say this is the case?

1. What is the main focus of an aerodynamics textbook at the graduate physics level?

The main focus of an aerodynamics textbook at the graduate physics level is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the principles and theories behind the behavior of fluids in motion, specifically in relation to air or gas flow over objects.

2. What are some key topics that are covered in an aerodynamics textbook at the graduate physics level?

Some key topics that are covered in an aerodynamics textbook at the graduate physics level include fluid mechanics, conservation laws, potential flow theory, boundary layer theory, and computational fluid dynamics.

3. How does an aerodynamics textbook at the graduate physics level differ from a textbook at the undergraduate level?

An aerodynamics textbook at the graduate physics level typically goes into more depth and detail on topics such as mathematical modeling, advanced fluid dynamics theories, and applications in engineering and research. It also assumes a higher level of mathematical and physics knowledge from the reader.

4. Is an aerodynamics textbook at the graduate physics level suitable for non-physics majors?

While an aerodynamics textbook at the graduate physics level may be beneficial for non-physics majors who have a strong background in physics and mathematics, it is primarily designed for graduate students and professionals in the field of aerodynamics.

5. Are there any supplemental materials or resources that are typically included with an aerodynamics textbook at the graduate physics level?

Many aerodynamics textbooks at the graduate physics level come with online resources such as simulations, practice problems, and additional readings. Some may also include access to software or programs used in computational fluid dynamics.