Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Affluence and its impact on scoiety.

1. Jul 17, 2012 #1
    Affluence and its effect on society.

Does affluence make people lazy and less motivated to strive for excellence in academics ? is there any correlation ?
    Just want some opinion or articles that i can read.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I think it all depends on your personal motivation for doing things. I've seen lazy rich people, lazy poor people, and everything in between.

4. Jul 27, 2012 #3
    Guess you work harder at school if you need the education to get a good material life, but at least where I am from you don't work to succeed in academia because of the money.

5. Jul 27, 2012 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I don't agree. There are millions of people out there that have very little yet don't even attempt to work hard and get an education. I think there are a great many reasons for this, ranging from social pressure, lack of money, little interest in being educated, not believing that they can get educated and get a good job, etc.

6. Aug 7, 2012 #5
    I've never seen statistics on this. I'd be interested if there are any.

I know there's a correlation between affluence, intelligence, and education. These all make sense. I don't know how laziness fits in, though.

As far as motivation goes, there's a TED talk about intrinsic vs. extrinsic motivation. Basically, does money motivate people, and if not, what does? He argues that reward/punishment motivation is only effective if thought/creativity is not involved. When thought/creativity is involved, he says that reward/punishment reduces productivity. Autonomy, Mastery, and Purpose are the three elements of intrinsic motivation, which he says is far more important.

Based on the above reasoning, you could say that affluent people will already have a greater degree of autonomy, and therefore less motivation.

7. Sep 6, 2012 #6
    Re: Affluence and its effect on society.

What is your working definition of affluence for this discussion?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook