Age of the Universe: Solve for t_0

  • Thread starter Thread starter NeedPhysHelp8
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Age Universe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
NeedPhysHelp8
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
Hi all,
Hoping you can help with this problem!

Homework Statement


For a flat universe, show that [tex]t_{0}=2/3 (H_{0})^{-1}[/tex] ? Seems like a simple problem I just don't really know where to start.

Homework Equations


Hubble's law [tex]v= H_{0}r[/tex]
and then [tex]t= 1/H_{0}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I just need guidance where to start. Flat universe means that expansion is constant in any direction right? What do I do?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
flat universe means the Hubble constant is constant.

Then 1/hubble constant has units time.
Think of the equations for something that doubles/halves with a constant time interval
 
How about the kinematic equation: x(t)= vt + 1/2at^2
Not sure if this is right and what to do with it? maybe take a derivatives of both sides?
 
I still can't figure out the answer, can someone give me a hint please