Air is made up of only 2 gases oxygen and nitrogen

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the percentage of oxygen and nitrogen in air based on their molecular weights and the overall molecular mass of air. The two equations used are not possible, but the correct answer is 72.5% oxygen and 27.5% nitrogen. However, it is not specified if this is by weight or number of molecules, so the conversation also discusses converting between the two. The final result can be expressed as either 25% oxygen and 75% nitrogen or 27.6% oxygen and 72.4% nitrogen, depending on whether the measurement is based on molar fraction or mass percentage.
Dell
if air is made up of only 2gases oxygen and nitrogen, and the molecular mass of air is 29g/mol, find the % of each component in the air,

what i thought i should do is make 2 equations,

Mw(O)=16
Mw(N)=14

X*16 + Y*14 = 29 (in 1mol of air)
X + Y = 1

but the solution to this is not possible, i get one as a negative pct

the correct answer is meant to be
72.5%
27.5%

Physics news on Phys.org

Dell said:
Mw(O)=16
Mw(N)=14

These are atomic weights, not molecular weights.
Remember oxygen and nitrogen are both diatomic gases.

thanks, so my equations would go

X*2*16 + Y*2*14 = 29 (in 1mol of air)
X + Y = 1

then i get 75%, 25%
is this correct? the "correct" answer in my book is 72.5% 27.5%

Is that 72.5% by weight, or by number of molecules?

it actually doesn't say, never thought of that,

is what i got by mol;ecules? how would i make the conversioin

got it,,

0.75*28=21g
0.25*32=8g

8/29=27.6%
21/29=72.4%

close enough

25% and 75% is a correct answer using 28, 32 and 29 as molar masses and assuming final result must be just molar fraction.

27.6% and 72.4% is a correct answer in terms of mass percentage.

--

1. What are the two main gases found in air?

The two main gases found in air are oxygen and nitrogen. They make up about 99% of the Earth's atmosphere.

2. Why are oxygen and nitrogen the most abundant gases in air?

Oxygen and nitrogen are the most abundant gases in air because they are constantly being replenished by plants through the process of photosynthesis. These gases are also relatively stable and do not react easily with other elements or compounds.

3. How much oxygen and nitrogen are present in air?

Oxygen makes up about 21% of the Earth's atmosphere, while nitrogen makes up about 78%. The remaining 1% is made up of trace gases such as carbon dioxide, methane, and argon.

4. Why is it important for air to contain both oxygen and nitrogen?

Oxygen is essential for the survival of most living organisms, as it is used in the process of respiration. Nitrogen is important for maintaining the Earth's atmospheric pressure and is also used in the production of fertilizers and other industrial processes.

5. Can air contain other gases besides oxygen and nitrogen?

Yes, air can contain other gases besides oxygen and nitrogen, but in smaller amounts. As mentioned before, trace gases such as carbon dioxide, methane, and argon make up the remaining 1% of the Earth's atmosphere. Other gases, such as water vapor and ozone, can also be found in air in varying amounts.