1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Modeling Quadratic Air Resistance in 2-D using Mathematica

1. Apr 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am working on a little project in which I analyze a video I found online and try to determine if it is real of a hoax. The video I am analyzing includes a man throwing a football off of a football stadium (at the very top) and making it into a basketball hoop at field level. I have looked up everything I believe I need to try to set up the problem, and here is what I have:

1. The football will be modeled as a Prolate spheroid with an elliptical cross section of area pi*a*b where a and b are radii (a>b). I have determined that a = 0.2794m and b=0.0859m, making the cross sectional area about 0.078m2.
    2. As I am modeling this using quadratic air resistance, given my fquad = F - cv2, where c is determined by the density of the air (which is about 1.225 kg/m3 and the cross-sectional area. That is, with these values, c = 0.09559 kg/m.
    3. the mass of the football is about 14 ounces, which is about 0.397 kg.
    4. I am only considering the x and y equations of motion, as I am assuming the football doesn't move much in or out of the page, just up and down in y and forwards in x.
    5. Then, the equations of motion are:
    mx'' = mv' = -c*sqrt(vx2+vy2)*vx.
    my'' = my' = -mg-c*sqrt(vx2+vy2)*vy.

Initial Conditions: vx(t=0) = 25 mph = 11.176 m/s. vy(t=0) = 0. x(t=0) = y(t=0) = 0.

I've never used mathematica before, but the mechanics book I am using (Taylor's Classical Mechanics) suggests that the NDSolve

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

As I've said, I've never used Mathematica, but using a few guides, my code (which is wrong) to start, is:

NDSolve[{x''[y, t] == -c/m * sqrt (x'[t]^2 + y'[t]^2) x'[t],
    y''[x, t] == -g - c/m * sqrt (x'[t]^2 + y'[t]^2) y'[t] , x[0] == 0,
    y[0] == 0, x'[0] == 11.176, y'[0] == 0}, x, y, {t, 0, 10}]

with variables defined:

m = 0.396893;
    c = 0.078;
    g = 9.8;

Trying to run this, I get the error: "The length of the derivative operator Derivative[2] in x''[y,t] is not the same as the number of arguments.

I am extremely lost as to how to solve these differential equations with a set of initial conditions.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2015 #2
    You are working with parametric equations each as a function of time, but you have defined the second derivative as a function of two variables; it should just read x''[t]==.... I also think you need curly brackets around the x-y pair before you give the time interval (i.e. y'[0]==0, {x,y}, {t,0,2}]

Other than that it looks good

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted