Air pressure generated by driving at 60mph

In summary: Drag coefficient can exceed 1, but only if the shape is designed to create a low pressure region behind it.In summary, the drag coefficient is not important for this question.
david66ad
If I place a 5' L x 12" W open box at front and a 1/8" hole at the back of the box and drove my car at 60 mph how much psi would I generate at the 1/8" hole?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's probably difficult to say without determining the drag coefficient of the box. A small hole like that it isn't going to alter the drag much.

I think you would basically have:

$$ P = \frac 1 2 C_D \rho_{air} v^2 $$

Likes russ_watters and jack action
Its interesting that it isn't dependent on the drag coefficient? The drag force varies with it. The drag coefficient encapsulates form drag and pressure drag. I guess the pressure drag portion ( which is what is of interest here) must be independent of the form drag.

erobz said:
It's probably difficult to say without determining the drag coefficient of the box. A small hole like that it isn't going to alter the drag much.

I think you would basically have:

$$ P = \frac 1 2 C_D \rho_{air} v^2 $$
If I replaced the box with 5' diameter funnel down to a 1/8" spout, what would the outgoing PSI be from the spout?

david66ad said:
If I replaced the box with 5' diameter funnel down to a 1/8" spout, what would the outgoing PSI be from the spout?
It would be the same. A pressure is independent of area.

Likes russ_watters
david66ad said:
I don't know. Others are saying the pressure is independent of the shape, size, so the drag coefficient is irrelevant. So, it would seem the same as the box. I'm still a bit suspicious to what degree of an approximation that is.

erobz said:
Its interesting that it isn't dependent on the drag coefficient? The drag force varies with it. The drag coefficient encapsulates form drag and pressure drag. I guess the pressure drag portion ( which is what is of interest here) must be independent of the form drag.
Stagnation pressure is essentially the maximum drag, or a 1.0 drag coefficient. Can't do better than that, and it isn't hard to achieve. That's the point of a pito-static tube for airspeed measurement.

The OP appears to be under the common but false belief that you can do better with a funnel.

Likes Lnewqban and erobz
russ_watters said:
Stagnation pressure is essentially the maximum drag, or a 1.0 drag coefficient. Can't do better than that, and it isn't hard to achieve. That's the point of a pito-static tube for airspeed measurement.

The OP appears to be under the common but false belief that you can do better with a funnel.
The only problem I'm seeing that optimization is apparently automatic independent of shape?

erobz said:
The only problem I'm seeing that optimization is apparently automatic?
I don't understand what you mean.

russ_watters said:
I don't understand what you mean.
You can't alter the shape to reduce the pressure. Its apparently automatically maximized.

The cone and the box will have very different coefficients of drag, but the pressure acting on them is the same; independent of the drag coefficient.

erobz said:
You can't alter the shape to reduce the pressure. Its apparently automatically maximized.

The cone and the box will have very different coefficients of drag, but the pressure acting on them is the same; independent of the drag coefficient.
Yes. The key feature is just a featureless hole. There's not much that can be done to make it better or worse.

Drag is basically stagnation pressure (force) minus regain. For the OP's question we don't care about regain.

erobz said:

The pressure acting at the stagnation point is the same, yes. The overall pressure distribution (and of course the overall drag) is going to highly depend on the shape of course.

Also, interestingly, it is possible for drag coefficient to exceed 1, but you can't exceed stagnation pressure on the pressure side of an object. To create a greater drag coefficient, you need a shape that also creates a low pressure region behind it, creating a greater net force than simply the dynamic pressure applied across the frontal area.

Last edited:
Likes erobz, russ_watters and Lnewqban
cjl said:
Also, interestingly, it is possible for drag coefficient to exceed 1...
[Google] I stand corrected!

1. What is air pressure?

Air pressure is the force exerted by the weight of air molecules in the Earth's atmosphere. It is measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

2. How is air pressure generated by driving at 60mph?

As a car moves forward at 60 miles per hour (mph), it creates a disturbance in the surrounding air, pushing air molecules in front of it and creating an area of higher air pressure. This is known as the "bow wave" effect. At the same time, the air behind the car experiences a decrease in pressure, creating a low-pressure area known as the "wake". These changes in air pressure are caused by the car's movement and the resulting friction with the air.

3. Does air pressure change at different speeds?

Yes, air pressure is directly affected by the speed of an object moving through it. As the speed increases, the air molecules are pushed closer together, resulting in an increase in air pressure. This is why air pressure is higher in front of a moving car and lower behind it.

4. How does air pressure affect a moving vehicle?

Air pressure can have both positive and negative effects on a moving vehicle. On one hand, it can provide a force that helps the car move forward, known as aerodynamic lift. On the other hand, it can also create drag, which can slow the car down and decrease fuel efficiency. Properly designed vehicles take into account these effects of air pressure to optimize performance.

5. Can air pressure affect tire pressure while driving at 60mph?

Yes, air pressure can affect tire pressure while driving at 60mph. As the car moves, the air inside the tires also moves and can experience changes in pressure due to the car's speed and the surrounding air pressure. It is important to regularly check and adjust tire pressure to ensure safe and efficient driving.