Airsoft - range and energy question

In summary, the conversation revolved around the physics involved in airsoft, specifically the range of a plastic BB based on its mass and initial energy. It was mentioned that the initial kinetic energy and the mass of the BB are important factors in determining its maximum range, with drag also playing a role. It was suggested to perform field tests to accurately determine the maximum range of different BB masses.
Mos
Hey guys.

I play a lot of airsoft, I also like physics, in airsoft LOADS of physics is in place there.

Basically, it's paintball, with realistic guns, shooting plastic BBs.

So, the question, if I shoot a 0.4g BB at 284 it will create I think 1.49 joules of energy.

When said BB is traveling in the air, if it was a 0.2g BB at the same joules of energy, which would go further?

I think it's the BB. At 0.4g as it keeps it's inertia and energy is not lost through particles of dust. Question two, is it the more energy something has, the further it will go?

Thanks guys,

Physics news on Phys.org
You could compare this to shooting an arrow. for the same pullback distance a lighter arrow will travel farther and faster than a heavier arrow. Because you pullback the bow to the same distance then the energy imparted will be the same. Some Airsoft guns use a spring mechanism that works in a similar fashion.

The 284 you mention must be 284 ft/sec and the 0.4g mass which you'd need to convert to MKS units if you want the answer in joules.

The equation ## KE = 1/2 m v^2## sums it up nicely but I'll leave it to you to go from here.

More on Airsoft guns:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airsoft_gun

In the overly ideal case of 2D kinematics (no drag and so forth) the maximum range of a BB is given by

[itex]r_{max} = \frac{v_0^2}{g}[/itex]
where you aim it 45 degrees above the horizon.
The initial kinetic energy is
[itex]E_0 = \frac{1}{2}m v_0^2[/itex]

Putting this together, you can get the max range in terms of the initial kinetic energy:
[itex]r_{max} =\frac{2 E_0}{m g}[/itex]

Therefore, in this case, if you have the same initial kinetic energy, but a smaller mass, the max range of the BB will be farther because it will have had to travel faster initially to have that same kinetic energy. Drag or no drag, the initial velocity of the smaller BB will be faster at the same initial energy.

Including drag into the situation is a more complicated issue, as solving the range is done by computer (it turns out to be a transcendental equation, and cannot be solved by algebraic methods), but in the approximation that the BB is light and traveling slow enough initially, that at the end of its flight it's just falling straight down at terminal velocity, you can show that
[itex]r_{max}\approx \frac{v_0 m}{b}[/itex]
where [itex]b[/itex] is the drag coefficient of the armophere.

Combining this with the formula for the initial energy, we find:
[itex]r_{max}\approx \frac{1}{b}\sqrt{2 m E_0}[/itex]

In this case, we see that if the initial energy is the same, but the mass is smaller, the range actually goes down due to drag.

What ends up happening in the field is somewhere between these two extremes.
If the final horizontal velocity is pretty much the same as your initial horizontal velocity, then drag isn't important, and you can use the first formula.
If your final horizontal velocity is near zero, then drag is dominant, and you should use the second formula.

If you're not accustomed to using a computer to solve equations, field testing in a large enough safe space would probably be easiest.

This wasn't homework or coursework.

But thank you.
So to sum up, if a mass of 0.4g leaves the barrel with an energy of 1.49 joules
Though a 0.2g mass leaves the barrel also with 1.49 joules

The latter will go further?

Mos said:

But thank you.

The latter will go further if it doesn't lose much horizontal velocity by the time it hits the ground again.
The former will go further if it does lose most of its horizontal velocity by that time.

f you're somewhere in between, you'll need to know what the terminal velocity of these BBs are (what their max falling speed is due to drag) to figure out which'll go further.

I can't imagine these BBs go very fast compared to the muzzle velocity if you just drop them from a large height, so my gut says drag will dominate, so that the former will go further.

To really be sure, you'll have to do your own tests. Experimental data trumps theoretical guesswork.

Likes Mos
Awesome, I will do some tests.

Thank you, my guess is the heavier BB will go further, due to airsofters research.

Mos said:

But thank you.

Okay I removed the warning.

Related to Airsoft - range and energy question

1. What is the maximum range of an airsoft gun?

The maximum range of an airsoft gun can vary depending on the type of gun and its power source. Generally, most airsoft guns have an effective range of around 100-200 feet. However, some high-powered rifles may have a maximum range of up to 300 feet.

2. How does the energy of an airsoft gun affect its range?

The energy of an airsoft gun is usually measured in feet per second (FPS). The higher the FPS, the greater the energy and potential range of the gun. However, other factors such as hop-up and wind can also affect the range of an airsoft gun.

3. Can airsoft guns shoot farther than their maximum range with modifications?

In theory, yes, airsoft guns can be modified to shoot farther than their maximum range by adjusting the hop-up and using heavier BBs. However, this can also lead to decreased accuracy and may not be allowed in some airsoft fields or events.

4. What is the effective range of a gas-powered airsoft gun compared to an electric one?

Generally, gas-powered airsoft guns have a slightly shorter effective range compared to electric ones. This is because gas-powered guns have a slower rate of fire and may have more limitations with hop-up adjustments. However, with proper maintenance and upgrades, gas-powered guns can still have a similar effective range as electric ones.

5. Is there a limit to how far an airsoft gun can shoot?

Yes, there is a limit to how far an airsoft gun can shoot. This is determined by the power of the gun, the weight and type of BBs used, and external factors such as wind and hop-up adjustments. Most airsoft guns have a maximum effective range of around 300 feet, but this can vary depending on the specific gun and its setup.