1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wind resistance on an airsoft BB

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    Hey, I have a question pertaining to the effect of wind resistance on a 0.2 gram plastic, spherical airsoft bb over a given distance. I know it has something to do with drag coefficient, and I’ve been having a little trouble calculating it myself, so I would really appreciate any ideas and/or help.

I would like to construct a chart of distance (m) vs. instantaneous velocity (m/s). Distance will be in increments of 5m, starting at 0. Similar to these charts, but with a different initial velocity and distance as the independent variable instead of time:

http://www.swatairsoft.eu/37.html

Here’s some data:

Mass of bb: 0.0002 kg
    Initial velocity of bb: 125 m/s (410 fps)

Since the bb is a sphere, it would have a drag coefficient of 0.47, correct? (neglecting any spin).

An air density value is also required: I was thinking of using 1.204 kg/m^3 (density of air at 20 degrees Celcius).

If needed, the cross-sectional area of a bb is 0.0000281 m (5.98mm diameter).

If any more information is needed to make it more accurate, please let me know. Anyone know how to go about doing this?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2010 #2
    bump?

4. Apr 2, 2010 #3
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook