Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Airwriting Next Big Thing in Cell Phones?

1. Jun 10, 2009 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

This will be the next thing that one is not supposed to while driving.

Air Writing: Next Big Thing in Cell Phones?
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090610/sc_livescience/airwritingnextbigthingincellphones [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2009 #2
    Re: Airwriting?

Definitely interesting. With this, wii, and that new xbox modification it seems as though we are finally starting to step into the world of virtual reality technology.

4. Jun 10, 2009 #3

It can't use cursive. :smile: I can't read my own cursive anymore anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Jun 11, 2009 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Oh great. Yet another device that makes modern society indistinguishable from an insane asylum. Cell phones already make us walk around talking to thin air. Now we'll be waving our arms about like raving lunatics while we talk to the thin air.

6. Jun 11, 2009 #5

At least iPods don't have nunchuck attachments yet

7. Jun 11, 2009 #6

Great... the drivers in nearby cars will think they're getting the finger or some other gesture. Sounds like a recipe for even more road rage.

Then I think my husbands typing occasional work-related emails while we're out in restaurants is rude already (sometimes I wanna grab that Blackberry and crush it on the floor!)... this would make me want to break his fingers!

8. Jun 11, 2009 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't understand the benefit of this. Why would someone rather write as if they're writing on an imaginary chalkboard rather than type or use a stylus to write directly on the phone/PDA/thing? It seems like a step backward rather than forward. Can you imagine if everyone on crowded buses were waving their arms wildly to send messages rather than typing on tiny keyboards?

9. Jun 11, 2009 #8

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A lot of this depends on how much I need to move the phone. If you can literally motion like you're writing with a pen, it would be nearly imperceptible. If you need to swing your arms around in a dramatic manner to get good results then this is worthless. Nothing says you need to hold your hand up while writing, you could just keep it in your lap and it would be very discreet. Also,

What

10. Jun 11, 2009 #9

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, the lunatics might like it.

I don't know if you are aware of this, but some of the people you see walking around with a headset "talking" might not actually be talking to a real person. It is apparantly quite common for people who hear voices due to e.g. schizofrenia to wear a headset most of the time; that way people around them won't think there is anything strange going on when the person feels compelled to answer the voices.

Hence, the advent of headsets actually made life at least a bit easier for some people.

(and no, I am not joking)

11. Jun 11, 2009 #10

I got an idea, how about an application that types the text message as you say what you want typed for you! Seems like the common sense thing to do.

All that time and effort, when all you really need/want is voice recognition software, plus its hands free.

This is a terrible phone application.

(Plus my phone has this nice button that you press and say "CALL BRIAN" ........."calling brian". No need to fumble while dialing.)

Fail.

12. Jun 11, 2009 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, wait, how about a device that automatically transmits the words you're saying to the person you want to send them to, then they can listen to them rather than read text messages, and can respond back by voice... :uhh:

13. Jun 11, 2009 #12

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're right, that is the ideal solution for when you need to be quiet or the background noise is overwhelming

14. Jun 11, 2009 #13

Allright mr. smart guy. No more comments from you. Let me rant on this application in peace.

Still, if that's the case I'd rather hit buttons than make all sorts of hand motions.

15. Jun 11, 2009 #14

drizzle

Gold Member

:biggrin:does that differ than calling the person?!!

16. Jun 11, 2009 #15

wow someone missed moonbears sarcasm there!

Anyhow, I do think it's strange they haven't come up with some form of voice recognition (particularly as an in car thing) for texting. Given the complications involved in the hand writing software and hardware, I would have thought it is easier to do voice recognition.

17. Jun 11, 2009 #16

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In other words, it reliably reproduces cursive :biggrin:

18. Jun 11, 2009 #17

drizzle

Gold Member

I didn’t miss it clever!
    just boosting it

19. Jun 11, 2009 #18

well the way it was written suggested otherwise to me. Had a tone of sarcasm from yourself to be honest.

Yes, I despise smileys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook