Aka, Coriander leaves. How do they taste to you?
- Thread starter lisab
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
19 replies · 3K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Discussion
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
I love them! Can't make fresh garden salsa without them. If I have garden tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc, and no cilantro, I will be very unhappy.
Jimmy Snyder
- 1,137
- 22
I voted for Yes, it does not taste like soap! Soap has a slimy texture, a sickening taste with an unpleasant aftertaste, an overpowering bouquet, and it triggers a gag reflex. I always favor cilantro in recipes that call for soap.
- 20,002
- 11,120
I generally dislike cliantro, but it is slowly growing on me. Makes it cheaper too :D
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
How often can you harvest?Greg Bernhardt said:I generally dislike cliantro, but it is slowly growing on me. Makes it cheaper too :D
S_Happens
Gold Member
- 310
- 3
I love cilantro. We'll be "borrowing" some from the neighbor's garden this week to make chicken enchiladas.
Lacy33
- 251
- 1
Jimmy Snyder said:I voted for Yes, it does not taste like soap! Soap has a slimy texture, a sickening taste with an unpleasant aftertaste, an overpowering bouquet, and it triggers a gag reflex. I always favor cilantro in recipes that call for soap.
LOL!
"This (salsa) was made in NJ?"
rhody
Gold Member
- 680
- 3
You always find a way to make us laugh:Jimmy Snyder said:I always favor cilantro in recipes that call for soap.
I like it too, fresh of course, and it does NOT make me gag.
Rhody...
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 458
- 40
I hate cilantro. It's not that it tastes BAD, but rather that it tastes WRONG. Like something I picked up in a forest, and my natural instincts signal that its poison and to spit it out. An evolutionary not-safe-to-consume label.
I also dislike Fennel (seeds are the worst) in the same way.
I can appreciate the taste of both, but its nearly impossible to get over the repulsiveness of it.
hypatia
- 1,192
- 10
I love it!
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
I like cilantro, but I can see how someone could really dislike it.
I HATE licorice and any herb or vegetable that tastes like it. I can take some fennel seed, but now too much, I usually pick them out of italian sausage. Not fond of star anise either.
CLOVES- The devil's spice, Satan has cloven hooves. Need I say more?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,050
- 614
Evo said:I like cilantro, but I can see how someone could really dislike it.
I HATE licorice and any herb or vegetable that tastes like it. I can take some fennel seed, but now too much, I usually pick them out of italian sausage. Not fond of star anise either.
CLOVES- The devil's spice, Satan has cloven hooves. Need I say more?
Fennel in sausage...
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,050
- 614
Hepth said:I hate cilantro. It's not that it tastes BAD, but rather that it tastes WRONG. Like something I picked up in a forest, and my natural instincts signal that its poison and to spit it out. An evolutionary not-safe-to-consume label.
I also dislike Fennel (seeds are the worst) in the same way.
I can appreciate the taste of both, but its nearly impossible to get over the repulsiveness of it.
Do you know if you're a supertaster?
Andre
- 4,296
- 73
Ah the Cilantrophobia thread. It's fine with me but the seeds are better, to us it's 'koriander' but when you add it to chinese food, it becomes 'ketoembar'.
Dadface
- 2,489
- 105
A mixture of very finely sliced red and white onions ,tomatoes and cucumber sprinkled liberally with coriander leaves and chile powder makes an excellent accompaniment for curries.
nucleargirl
- 122
- 2
I think there is a gene for love/hate of coriander - I like it but my cousin cannot stand it and it makes her feel sick, even though she's been exposed to it all her life. I can kind of see how the smell might make you feel sick but I still like it.
Dembadon
Gold Member
- 660
- 88
One needs to exercise extreme caution when using cilantro in one's food. Cilantro can quickly overpower anything you put it in and ruin the dish. My wife loves it, and I'll usually put a little in the guacamole I make.
S_Happens
Gold Member
- 310
- 3
Evo said:I like cilantro, but I can see how someone could really dislike it.
I HATE licorice and any herb or vegetable that tastes like it. I can take some fennel seed, but now too much, I usually pick them out of italian sausage. Not fond of star anise either.
CLOVES- The devil's spice, Satan has cloven hooves. Need I say more?
I'm the same way. I have a certain steak seasoning that I use on cheaper cuts that has fennel seeds in it. It's usually not enough to notice, but if I get it out a few minutes before I have the steaks ready to marinate I usually pick them out.
fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
- 734
- 4
I love it. I looked at this thread and had to help myself to some coriander hummus! I accept it tastes like soap occasionally. Could this be when it is cooked too much?
Similar threads
- jim mcnamara
- · Replies 8 ·
- Biology and Medical
- Replies
- 8
- JessicaHelena
- · Replies 8 ·
- Introductory Physics Homework Help
- Replies
- 8
- adoado
- · Replies 3 ·
- Chemistry
- Replies
- 3
- Edison Bias
- · Replies 41 ·
- Biology and Medical
- Replies
- 41
- gravenewworld
- · Replies 8 ·
- Biology and Medical
- Replies
- 8