Algebra behind the ratio test?

In summary, the ratio test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series in algebra by taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms. It is used to prove convergence by showing that the limit is less than 1, and it is different from the root test which compares the nth root of the nth term. The ratio test can only be used for series with positive terms and is generally used for series with complicated functions or similar terms. However, it is important to consider other methods when determining convergence or divergence.
cdotter

Homework Statement

[tex]\sum\limits_{i=0}^\infty \frac{i!}{5^i}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) [tex]\sum\limits_{i=0}^\infty \frac{i!}{5^i}[/tex]
(2) [tex] = \lim_{i\rightarrow \infty}|{\frac{(i+1)!}{(5+1)^i} \cdot \frac{5^i}{i!}|[/tex]
(3) [tex] = \lim_{i\rightarrow \infty}{\frac{(i+1)!}{5i!}[/tex]

Could someone explain to me the jump from (2) to (3)? I can't make sense of it and my lecture notes don't mention anything in particular. Do the properties of factorials come into play here (I never learned factorials)?

Physics news on Phys.org
nothing happened, you should have

[tex]
= \lim_{i\rightarrow \infty}|{\frac{(i+1)!}{(5)^{i+1}} \cdot \frac{5^i}{i!}|
[/tex]

and the 5^i / 5^i+1 gives you 1/5

There is no jump from (2) to (3)- Your (2) is simply wrong.

As wizvuze said, you should have [itex]5^{i+1}[/itex], not [itex](5+ 1)^i[/itex].

[tex]\frac{(i+ 1)!}{i!}= \frac{(i+1)i!}{i!}= i+ 1[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{5^i}{5^{i+1}}= \frac{5^i}{(5^i)(5)}= \frac{1}{5}[/tex]

Ok, what about:

[tex]\frac{1}{(i+1)!} \cdot \frac{i!}{1} = \frac{i!}{(i+1)!}[/tex]

My notes says it simplifies to this:

[tex]\frac{1}{i+1}[/tex]

How?

[tex]\frac{i!}{(i + 1)!} = \frac{i!}{(i + 1)i!} = \frac{1}{i + 1}[/tex]

Because you said that you never learned factorials let me further explain Bohrok's reply.
5! = 5*4*3*2*1, 6! = 6*4*3*2*1 and so on.
Think of n! as multiplying all of integers from 1 up to n together.
i! = i*(i-1)*(i-2)...*3*2*1. The product of all the integers from 1 up to i.
(i+1)! = (i+1)*(i)*(i-1)*(i-2)*...*3*2*1. The product of all integers from 1 up to (i+1).
so then we have that (i+1)! = (i+1)*(i)*(i-1)*(i-2)...*3*2*1 = (i+1)*(i)!. Make this substitution on the bottom and you see that the i! on top and bottom cancel out.

What is the ratio test in algebra?

The ratio test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series in algebra. It involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If the limit is less than 1, the series is convergent. If the limit is greater than 1, the series is divergent. If the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another method must be used.

How is the ratio test used to prove convergence?

The ratio test is used to prove convergence by showing that the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms is less than 1. This indicates that the terms in the series are becoming smaller and approaching 0, which is a necessary condition for convergence. If the limit is equal to or greater than 1, the series is not convergent.

What is the difference between the ratio test and the root test?

Both the ratio test and the root test are used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. The main difference is in the way they compare the terms in the series. The ratio test compares the ratio of consecutive terms, while the root test compares the nth root of the nth term. The ratio test is usually easier to use, but the root test can sometimes be more effective in proving convergence or divergence.

Can the ratio test be used for all series?

No, the ratio test can only be used for series with positive terms. If the terms in the series are negative or alternate between positive and negative, the ratio test cannot be applied. In these cases, the alternating series test or another method must be used to determine convergence or divergence.

How do you know when to use the ratio test?

The ratio test is generally used for series that involve factorials, exponentials, or other complicated functions in the terms. It is also useful when the terms in the series are similar in form. However, there is no one rule for when to use the ratio test, and it is important to consider other methods as well when determining convergence or divergence.