Algebra experiment using cellophane

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using polarized cellophane squares as a set and a binary operation to form a group. The clear cellophane is considered the identity and each polarized color has an inverse. The set is closed under the operation and the discussion touches on whether this can be considered math or an analogy to groups. There is also a mention of the possibility of it being a semi-group and the non-commutativity of the operation. The conversation also briefly explores the topic of polarization as an example of "quantum logic."
srfriggen
Hello,

This is kind of a weird thought but if I obtained a bunch of different polarized cellophane squares as my set and considered my binary operation to be holding the squares over one another and observing the new color made, would that be considered math?? I think they could form a group. I would have the clear cellophane be my identity and each polarized color would have an inverse, namely it's oppositely polarized color which would look clear when placed on top of one another. One could solve for colors by using these methods. For example, if I had two cellophane squares on top of one another making the color purple, and I knew one of them was red, I could apply the "anti-red" to the stack and observe (solve) the previously unknown color.

Obviously the set is closed under the operation.

Would one consider that to actually be math or would that be more of an analogy to Groups? Stacking blocks and counting them is considered math, no?

Just trying to extend my thinking beyond the familiar numbers as I've started to learn a little bit about abstract algebra and find it fascinating. I'm also becoming a math teacher and thought this could potentially be an enlightening exercise for students.

thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
srfriggen said:
Hello,

This is kind of a weird thought but if I obtained a bunch of different polarized cellophane squares as my set and considered my binary operation to be holding the squares over one another and observing the new color made, would that be considered math?? I think they could form a group. I would have the clear cellophane be my identity and each polarized color would have an inverse, namely it's oppositely polarized color which would look clear when placed on top of one another. One could solve for colors by using these methods. For example, if I had two cellophane squares on top of one another making the color purple, and I knew one of them was red, I could apply the "anti-red" to the stack and observe (solve) the previously unknown color.

Obviously the set is closed under the operation.

Would one consider that to actually be math or would that be more of an analogy to Groups? Stacking blocks and counting them is considered math, no?

Just trying to extend my thinking beyond the familiar numbers as I've started to learn a little bit about abstract algebra and find it fascinating. I'm also becoming a math teacher and thought this could potentially be an enlightening exercise for students.

thoughts?
Sounds like a group to me, with the filters being the group elements, and the operation being placing one filter on top of another. It would also be an Abelian group, inasmuch as filter1 ⊕ filter2 would be the same as filter2 ⊕ filter1.

Sounds like a semi-group, not a group, to me. Since your colored papers act by taking light away, there is no colored paper that will "add light" to get you back to your original color- no inverses.

Mark44 said:
Sounds like a group to me, with the filters being the group elements, and the operation being placing one filter on top of another. It would also be an Abelian group, inasmuch as filter1 ⊕ filter2 would be the same as filter2 ⊕ filter1.
As Stephen says, not Abelian. Example: If you have filters, F0, F45, F90, polarized at the angles, 0, 45, and 90. Then F0 + F45 + F90 != F0 + F90 + F45. The first one will allow some light through but the second one does not.

1. What is the purpose of using cellophane in an algebra experiment?

The purpose of using cellophane in an algebra experiment is to demonstrate the concept of variables and how they can affect the outcome of an equation. By using cellophane as a variable, students can visually see how changing its properties (such as color or thickness) can alter the result of the equation.

2. How is cellophane used in an algebra experiment?

In an algebra experiment, cellophane is used as a variable in an equation. This can be done by assigning a numerical value to the cellophane (such as its thickness or color) and plugging it into the equation. Students can then manipulate the cellophane and see how it affects the equation and the overall solution.

3. What are some potential variables that can be tested using cellophane in an algebra experiment?

Some potential variables that can be tested using cellophane in an algebra experiment include color, thickness, transparency, and size. These variables can be assigned numerical values and plugged into an equation to see how they affect the outcome.

4. Can cellophane be used as a standalone tool for teaching algebra?

While cellophane can be a useful tool for teaching algebra, it should not be used as the only method of instruction. It is important for students to understand the underlying principles and concepts of algebra, and cellophane can be used as a visual aid to supplement this understanding.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when using cellophane in an algebra experiment?

When using cellophane in an algebra experiment, it is important to handle it carefully as it can tear easily. Additionally, students should be reminded not to put cellophane in their mouths or near their faces to avoid any potential choking hazards. It is also important to properly dispose of the cellophane after the experiment to prevent any environmental hazards.