Algebra II Honors Homework Help

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of k in the function f(x) = k(-x^3 - 4x - 9) given that the inverse function of f(x) is a function and f^-1(7) = 1. The conversation also includes a picture, which has been deleted, and a hint on how to find the value of k. In the end, the value of k is determined to be (4y+10)/-7 by plugging 1 into the function f(x) and solving for k.
darshanpatel
The inverse of f(x)= k(-x^3 -4x -9) is a function and f^-1(7)=1. What is the value of k?

Work is a picture: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29xj4i8&s=5

Mod note: Too large picture deleted

Final Answer: k= (4y+10)/-7

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
darshanpatel said:
The inverse of f(x)= k(-x^3 -4x -9) is a function and f^-1(7)=1. What is the value of k?

Work is a picture: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29xj4i8&s=5

Final Answer: k= (4y+10)/-7
Hello darshanpatel. Welcome to PF.

What is y ?? (Your answer makes no sense.)

Here's a hint: If [itex]\displaystyle f^{-1}(7)=1\,,[/itex] then what is [itex]\displaystyle f(1)\,?[/itex]

Note: When a moderator of these forums sees the size of that image, he/she will likely delete it.

The y is from exchanging the x and y's to get the inverse, also can you please help me and not hint lol.

darshanpatel said:
The y is from exchanging the x and y's to get the inverse, also can you please help me and not hint lol.

LOL indeed!

Read the rules of these Forums.

By the way: The hint I gave should lead you directly to the solution.

There is a template that should be used for homework. Next time, please fill it out instead uf uploading a picture.

Picture copied.

Attachments

• 29xj4i8.jpg
    29xj4i8.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 445
Evo said:
There is a template that should be used for homework. Next time, please fill it out instead uf uploading a picture.

Picture copied.
Thanks Evo !

SammyS said:
LOL indeed!

Read the rules of these Forums.

By the way: The hint I gave should lead you directly to the solution.

I don't understand the hint... Do I plug it directly in or something?

Evo said:

Picture copied.

Also Another PF mod or something said it was ok...

darshanpatel said:
I don't understand the hint... Do I plug it directly in or something?

If [itex]\displaystyle f^{-1}(7) = 1\,, \ \ \text{ then }\ f(1) = 7 \,.[/itex] Understand ?

So I plug 1 into x variables and make whole equation = to 7?

darshanpatel said:
So I plug 1 into x variables and make whole equation = to 7?
Yes. Then solve for k.

Thank you, you are really smart. :)

darshanpatel said:
Also Another PF mod or something said it was ok...
If it is much larger than 800 x 600 pixels, the moderators will likely delete it.

ok, thanks...

1. What is Algebra II Honors?

Algebra II Honors is a high school level mathematics course that builds upon the concepts learned in Algebra I. It covers topics such as functions, systems of equations, logarithms, and exponentials, and is considered more rigorous and advanced than a regular Algebra II course.

2. Why is Algebra II Honors important?

Algebra II Honors is important because it prepares students for more advanced math courses in high school and college. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in many fields, such as science, engineering, and finance.

3. How can I succeed in Algebra II Honors?

To succeed in Algebra II Honors, it is important to attend class regularly, take thorough notes, and actively participate in class discussions. It is also helpful to practice regularly, seek help from the teacher or a tutor when needed, and stay organized with homework and assignments.

4. What resources are available for Algebra II Honors homework help?

There are several resources available for Algebra II Honors homework help, including online tutorials, practice problems and quizzes, study guides, and textbooks. Many schools also offer after-school tutoring or study groups for students who need extra help.

5. How can I apply Algebra II Honors to real-world situations?

Algebra II Honors teaches skills that can be applied to various real-world situations, such as analyzing data, making predictions, and solving real-life problems. For example, understanding exponential growth and decay can be useful in predicting population growth or analyzing financial investments.