Algebra - Is it possible to solve it in terms of r?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Algebra Terms
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
Physics news on Phys.org
perhaps too much help there... I was thinking of writing a hint like 'what can you do to both sides to get r on only one side of the equation'
 
BruceW said:
perhaps too much help there... I was thinking of writing a hint like 'what can you do to both sides to get r on only one side of the equation'
Oops... you're probably right, Bruce.
 
I can still see the original message in my email you know? :wink:

Thanks, at any rate. I seemed to have forgotten basic algebra!
 
Femme_physics said:
I can still see the original message in my email you know? :wink:
Yeah, I know. :-p
 
You ended up with 100[itex]\pi[/itex]r4 = 4000[itex]\cdot[/itex]103r.

Move everything over to one side, and take the largest common factor out of both terms. The equation should be pretty easy to solve from there.
 
Is it really "[itex]1000\cdot10^3[/itex]". That seems a very strange thing to write. It is, of course, the same as [itex]10^6= 1000000[/itex].