Use lagrange multipliers to find the shortest distance

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
anubis01
Messages
149
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Use lagrange multipliers to find the shortest distance between a point on the elliptic paraboloid z=x^2 +y^2


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7272/cci1902201000000.jpg

I'm not that good with using the equation editor, so I scanned my work.

I'm stuck on the last part where I'm trying to factor the equation to find a solution for [tex]\lambda[/tex], I can't seem to find a solution that would make the equation zero, which is what i need in order to do the long division to factor that equation.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your constraint is x^2+y^2-z=0. You differentiate lambda*(x^2+y^2-z). So you have a mistake on step 3. The d/dz equation should be 2*(z-1/2)=(-lambda). That may be why you are having a hard time with the resulting equation.
 
ah, now the equation makes much more sense, thanks for the help.