Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Algebra) Isometries on the complex plane

1. Feb 19, 2012 #1
    So this is the problem as written and I'm totally lost. Any help or explanation would be greatly appreciated.

"Viewing ℂ=ℝ2 , we can identify the complex numbers z = a+bi and w=c+di with the vectors (a,b) and (c,d) in R2 , respectively. Then we can form their dot product, (a,b)[itex]\bullet[/itex](c,d)=ac+bd.
    Prove that ζ[itex]\bar{c}[/itex] + c = 0 iff c is orthogonal to [itex]\sqrt{ζ}[/itex]."

I feel like there are too many things undefined - or maybe I just don't get what things are supposed to be. [itex]\bar{c}[/itex] is supposed to be the conjugate of c, I know that much. And in another problem ζ was defined as cosθ + i sinθ, but I'm not sure how to use this information (or if it even applies to this problem). I know that c and ζ being orthogonal means they're both vectors and their dot product is zero. It's in the chapter on isometries of ℝ and ℂ.

I've been trying to figure this problem out for hours and am frustrated to the point of tears. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

c orthogonal to [itex]\sqrt{\xi}[/itex]? That doesn't even make sense. Those two things are numbers, what does it even mean that they're orthogonal??

4. Feb 19, 2012 #3
    You can see my frustration then. I checked to make sure I copied the problem word for word. I'm so confused by it - it's making me crazy.

The only thing I can think is ζ is a rotation (as it had been used before). So it makes sense to me that ζ[itex]\bar{c}[/itex] = -c, where ζ rotates the conjugate -90°. but the c orthogonal to √ζ is what's killing me.

I'm totally lost.

5. Feb 19, 2012 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Assuming [itex]\zeta = \cos\theta + i \sin\theta[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt \zeta = \cos\frac \theta 2 + i \sin\frac \theta 2[/itex], and writing [itex]c = a+ib[/itex], we see c is orthogonal to [itex]\zeta[/itex] iff [itex]a \cos\frac \theta 2 + b\sin\frac \theta 2 = 0[/itex] iff [itex]\tan\frac\theta 2 = -\frac ab[/itex]. Now use the usual formulas expressing [itex]\sin\theta[/itex] and [itex]\cos\theta[/itex] in terms of [itex]\tan\frac\theta 2[/itex] to see that [itex]\zeta \bar c + c = 0[/itex] iff [itex]\tan\frac\theta 2 = -\frac ab[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook