1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra of pulley-mass energy equation

1. Nov 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 0.20-kg block and a 0.25-kg block are connected to each other by a string draped over a pulley that is a solid disc of inertia 0.50 kg and radius 0.10 m. When released, the 0.25-kg block is 0.30 m off the ground. What speed does this block have when it hits the ground?

2. Relevant equations

ΔE = 0
    Ei = Ef (closed system)
    E = K + UG + Eth + Es
    UiG = Ktransf + Krotf
    Ktrans = ½mv2
    Krot = ½Iω2
    ISolid Cylinder = ½mr2
    ω = v/r

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I step up the energy equation and substitute in my energy expressions. I've used the subscript "1" to represent the 0.20-kg mass, the subscript "2" to represent the 0.25-kg mass, and the subscript "p" to represent the pulley.

U1iG + U2iG = U1fG + U2fG + K1f + K2f + Kpf

m1gh1i + m2gh2i = m1gh1f + m2gh2f + ½m1v12 + ½m2v22 + ½Iω2

I know what the next step is, but I'm not sure how to get there algebraically.

I should end up with:

(m1 - m2)gΔh = ½(m1 + m2)vf2 + ¼mpvf2

I understand that v1, v2, and vp are equal, so no problem there. I see that how we substitute ½mr2 for I, and v/r for ω. I don't understand how we end up with (m1 - m2)gΔh. I understand that we pull the common variable g out, and I can kind of understand how the h-values become Δh. However, it looks like this when I set it up:

m1gh1i + m2gh2i - m1gh1f - m2gh2f = ½m1v12 + ½m2v22 + ½Iω2

Which becomes:

g(m1h1i + m2h2i - m1h1f - m2h2f) = ½m1v12 + ½m2v22 + ½Iω2

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The length of the rope does not change. If the 0.25 kg block descends by 0.3 m, the other block rises by 0.3 m.
    (h1f-h1i= h2i-h2f)

4. Nov 25, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the reply, ehild.

I initially responded with another question, but I think I understand now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted