Algebra of pulley-mass energy equation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
PacFan01
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


[/B]
A 0.20-kg block and a 0.25-kg block are connected to each other by a string draped over a pulley that is a solid disc of inertia 0.50 kg and radius 0.10 m. When released, the 0.25-kg block is 0.30 m off the ground. What speed does this block have when it hits the ground?

Homework Equations



ΔE = 0
Ei = Ef (closed system)
E = K + UG + Eth + Es
UiG = Ktransf + Krotf
Ktrans = ½mv2
Krot = ½Iω2
ISolid Cylinder = ½mr2
ω = v/r

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
First, I step up the energy equation and substitute in my energy expressions. I've used the subscript "1" to represent the 0.20-kg mass, the subscript "2" to represent the 0.25-kg mass, and the subscript "p" to represent the pulley.

U1iG + U2iG = U1fG + U2fG + K1f + K2f + Kpf

m1gh1i + m2gh2i = m1gh1f + m2gh2f + ½m1v12 + ½m2v22 + ½Iω2

I know what the next step is, but I'm not sure how to get there algebraically.

I should end up with:

(m1 - m2)gΔh = ½(m1 + m2)vf2 + ¼mpvf2

I understand that v1, v2, and vp are equal, so no problem there. I see that how we substitute ½mr2 for I, and v/r for ω. I don't understand how we end up with (m1 - m2)gΔh. I understand that we pull the common variable g out, and I can kind of understand how the h-values become Δh. However, it looks like this when I set it up:

m1gh1i + m2gh2i - m1gh1f - m2gh2f = ½m1v12 + ½m2v22 + ½Iω2

Which becomes:

g(m1h1i + m2h2i - m1h1f - m2h2f) = ½m1v12 + ½m2v22 + ½Iω2

Any help is greatly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The length of the rope does not change. If the 0.25 kg block descends by 0.3 m, the other block rises by 0.3 m.
(h1f-h1i= h2i-h2f)
 
Thanks for the reply, ehild.

I initially responded with another question, but I think I understand now.