Algebra Question regarding adjacent transposition

• Thread starter sunnyday11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that any transposition can be expressed as a product of an odd number of adjacent transpositions. The proof uses the definition of "gap" as the modulus of the value j-i and employs induction on the gap to show that the number of adjacent transpositions needed is always odd. The conversation also discusses how to present the proof in a formal manner.
sunnyday11

Homework Statement

Prove that any transposition is a product of an odd number of adjacent transposition.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let x=(i,j) Define gap(x) = j-i
By induction on gap:
If gap(x)=1 then already adjacent.
Suppose k= j-i
(i,j)=(i,i+1)(i+1,j)(i,i+1)
gap(i+1,j)=k-1

I don't really know how to complete the proof.
The gap is defined as the modulus of the value j-i in all cases above.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
So gap(i+1,j)=k-1. What does the induction hypothesis tell you?

By induction k-1 is odd.
So, gap(i,j)=(i,i+1) (odd number of adjacent transpositions) (i,i+1) = 1+ odd# + 1 = odd #

Thank you so much, but do you know how can I put this in a more formal presentation?

I think your proof is already quite formal. I don't see much way to improve it...

1. What is an adjacent transposition?

An adjacent transposition is a type of permutation in algebra where two elements in a sequence are swapped with each other, while the remaining elements stay in their original positions.

2. How is an adjacent transposition represented?

An adjacent transposition is typically represented using parentheses, with the elements being swapped inside the parentheses. For example, (a b) represents the swapping of elements a and b in a sequence.

3. What is the difference between adjacent transposition and non-adjacent transposition?

Adjacent transposition involves swapping two elements that are next to each other in a sequence, while non-adjacent transposition involves swapping two elements that are not next to each other. In non-adjacent transposition, all elements between the two swapped elements also move to new positions.

4. How do I perform an adjacent transposition?

To perform an adjacent transposition, simply swap the two elements inside the parentheses while keeping all other elements in their original positions. This can be done manually or by using mathematical notation such as cycle notation.

5. What is the purpose of using adjacent transposition in algebra?

Adjacent transposition is often used in algebra to facilitate the process of solving equations or simplifying expressions. It allows for the rearrangement of elements in a sequence, making it easier to identify patterns and solve problems.