Generators and Defining Relations on the Symmetric Group of degree n

In summary, the author attempted to solve a problem dealing with generators and defining relations for the symmetric group Sn, but was not able to produce a complete list of relations. He believes that he understands the process for determining relations and then showing that they form a complete list of relations, but does not understand how to do it in general.
wnorman27

Homework Statement

I am working through MacLane/Birkhoff's Algebra, and in the section on Symmetric and Alternating groups, the last few exercises deal with generators and Defining relations for Sn (the symmetric group of degree n). These read:

11. Prove that Sn is generated by the cycles (1 2 ... n-1) and (n-1 n).
12. In Exercise 11 determine defining relations on these two generators.
13. Prove that Sn is generated by the transpositions (1 2), (2 3), ..., (n-1 n).
14. In Exercise 13 show that the generators t[itex]_{i}[/itex] = (i i+1), i =1,...,n-1 satisfy the defining relations

(t[itex]_{i}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex] = 1
t[itex]_{i}[/itex]t[itex]_{j}[/itex] = t[itex]_{j}[/itex]t[itex]_{i}[/itex] if i-j≠±1
and
(t[itex]_{i}[/itex]t[itex]_{i+1}[/itex])[itex]^{3}[/itex] = 1
and that this is a complete list of relations.

Homework Equations

Thm: Any permutation on n is a composite of transpositions.

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I understand why/how the given generators do generate Sn in problem 11:
any transposition of elements (j k) can be constructed using the cycles x = (1 2 ... n-1) and y = (n-1 n) as (x[itex]^{-j}[/itex]°y°x[itex]^{j}[/itex])°(x[itex]^{-k}[/itex]°y°x[itex]^{k}[/itex])°(x[itex]^{-j}[/itex]°y°x[itex]^{j}[/itex])

And by the theorem, we can represent any permutation (any element of Sn) as a composition of these transpositions.

and in problem 12:
the transposition (1 2 ... n-1) can be written as (n-1 n-2)...(4 3)°(3 2)°(2 1) and (n-1 n) is already of the given form, so the given transpositions can be combined to form the permutations of 11 which in turn generate Sn. What I am having difficulty with is what the process is for determining defining relations and then showing that they form a complete list of relations. Perhaps showing the order of each of the generators (x[itex]^{n-1}[/itex]=1 and y[itex]^{2}[/itex]=1) and how the generators "commute" with one another is standard? If so how in the world do you figure out what these additional relations are?

Thank you all, this is my first post, so feedback on the amount/quality of information given is welcome and appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let us first show that the set of relations in (14) is complete.

What it means is that if [itex]t_1,...,t_n[/itex] are in a group G, if [itex]t_i\neq t_j[/itex] and if they satisfy the relations, then [itex]G=S_n[/itex]. Can you agree with that or did you have a different definition of complete??

What I would do is apply Cayley's theorem to obtain that G is a subgroup of a certain symmetric group Sym(X) (note that X is possibly infinite).
So we can write [itex]t_1,...,t_n[/itex] as permutations. Now use the relations to see which permutations they are.

For example, from [itex]t_1^2=1[/itex], I can see that [itex]t_1[/itex] must be a disjoint product of transpositions. Use the other relations to obtain some useful results.

micromass,

I can agree with your definition of complete, though I'm still lost as to how one would show that our group G = Sn from the given information.

Also, t[itex]_{i}[/itex] are given explicitly as t[itex]_{i}[/itex] = (i i+1), so the fact that they are transpositions is clear.

I see how Cayley's theorem allows us to show that G is a subgroup of some Sym(x), but I don't understand how to restrict this x so that x = n. Maybe I'll try to show that G is a subgroup of Sym(n) and then that Sym(n) is a subgroup of G? Any suggestions? Thanks!

OK, let's try something different as my method seems to get complicated.

I think the easiest way to show this is by some sort of induction argument.

So let [itex]G_n[/itex] be the group generated by the elements [itex]t_1,...,t_n[/itex]. We wish to show that [itex]G_n[/itex] is isomorphic to [itex]S_{n+1}[/itex].

First, find a surjective group homomorphism [itex]\varphi:G_n\rightarrow S_{n+1}[/itex].

It remains to show that [itex]|G_n|\leq (n+1)![/itex]. This can be done by induction.

Assume that [itex]|G_{n-1}|\leq n![/itex]. Write for convenience [itex]G_{n-1}[/itex] generated by [itex]t_1,...,t_{n-1}[/itex] and write [itex]G_n[/itex] generated by [itex]s_1,...,s_n[/itex].

Define [itex]\psi:G_{n-1}\rightarrow G_n[/itex] by [itex]\psi(t_i)=s_{i+1}[/itex]. Is this well-defined?
Let H be the image of [itex]\psi[/itex], then [itex]|H|\leq (n-1)![/itex]. It remains to be shown that [itex]|G_n/H|\leq n+1[/itex].

Define [itex]H_0=H,~H_1=s_1H,...,H_n=s_ns_{n-1}...s_1H[/itex]. Show that [itex]\{H_0,...,H_n\}[/itex] are exactly the cosets of [itex]G_n[/itex].
That is, if [itex]x\in G_n[/itex], then [itex]xH_i[/itex] is a certain [itex]H_j[/itex].

So I'm trying to wrap my head around how I would find the surjective group homomorphism φ:Gn→Sn+1. Also I believe that statements about |Gn/H| must be using some results about the orders of groups that I haven't yet come across - I'll look into that.

The bigger question I have though is how in general we go about determining generators and defining relations for any given group. For example, how did MacLane/Birkhoff find the generators (1 2 ... n-1) and (n-1 1) for Sn in the first place? For groups of low order, I can see how staring at the multiplication table can be helpful, but then how in general do we determine the number of distinct elements in a group in the absence of defining relations?

Perhaps I just need some direction toward a topic this book hasn't gone through yet?

1. What is a generator in the context of the symmetric group of degree n?

A generator in the context of the symmetric group of degree n is an element that, when combined with other elements through the group's operation (usually composition of permutations), can generate all of the elements in the group. In other words, a generator is an element that, when repeated multiple times, can generate all the other elements in the group.

2. How are generators and defining relations related in the symmetric group of degree n?

Generators and defining relations are closely related in the symmetric group of degree n. The defining relations for a group are a set of equations that must be satisfied by all elements in the group. Generators are used to express these defining relations, meaning that they can be combined in different ways to satisfy the equations. In other words, the generators provide a way to create all the elements in the group, while the defining relations ensure that these elements behave in a consistent manner.

3. How many generators are needed to define the symmetric group of degree n?

The number of generators needed to define the symmetric group of degree n depends on the specific group and its properties. In general, a minimal set of generators for the symmetric group of degree n consists of n-1 elements. However, in some cases, fewer generators may be needed if certain elements can be expressed as combinations of others.

4. What is the significance of defining relations in the symmetric group of degree n?

The defining relations in the symmetric group of degree n serve as a set of equations that must be satisfied by all elements in the group. This ensures that the group behaves in a consistent and predictable manner. Additionally, defining relations can be used to determine the structure and properties of the group, such as its subgroups and quotient groups.

5. How are generators and defining relations used in practical applications of the symmetric group of degree n?

Generators and defining relations are used in practical applications of the symmetric group of degree n to define and manipulate the elements of the group. For example, in cryptography, generators and defining relations can be used to encrypt and decrypt data using permutations. In mathematics, they can be used to study and prove properties of the group. In computer science, they can be used in algorithms and data structures for efficient manipulation of symmetric group elements.