Algebra question -- Solving 2 simultaneous equations....

In summary, the question involves finding the ratio c to a in a series involving arithmetic and geometric progressions. After simplifying the given expressions, it leads to a single equation with two possible forms. However, without additional information, it is not possible to solve for the ratio c to a. It is also possible that there may be missing information in the original question.
Biker
It is a bit of a long question about series, But what is important is this...

a+ 2c = 3b

(3b-2)^2 = 2a * (4c-2)

It is asking for the ratio c to a

It have tried a lot of ways. I always end up with this. (Note maybe I not noticing a mistake, Can just anyone confirm that this is solvable? )

a^2 - 4 a c + 4 = 8 c - 4 c^2

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Biker said:
It is a bit of a long question about series, But what is important is this...

a+ 2c = 3b

(3b-2)^2 = 2a * (4c-2)

It is asking for the ratio c to a

It have tried a lot of ways. I always end up with this. (Note maybe I not noticing a mistake, Can just anyone confirm that this is solvable? )

a^2 - 4 a c + 4 = 8 c - 4 c^2

You can solve this for a! I got the same expression as you. You can write it as a^2 - 4ac + 4c^2 = 8c - 4.
Now look at the a^2 - 4ac + 4c^2. You should notice something. Solve for a then and you can express c/a

Math_QED said:
You can solve this for a! I got the same expression as you. You can write it as a^2 - 4ac + 4c^2 = 8c - 4.
Now look at the a^2 - 4ac + 4c^2. You should notice something. Solve for a then and you can express c/a
a = 2 ( +or- sqrt( c-1) + c)

Which doesn't make sense in my view, Because the answer is 5 : 2 ( c to a). Did you get the value for c:a as a number or with variables?

Here is the original question:
2a, 3b , 4c is a Arithmetic progression
2a, 3b-2, 4c-2 is a geometric sequence

Find c : a

Biker said:
a = 2 ( +or- sqrt( c-1) + c)

Which doesn't make sense in my view, Because the answer is 5 : 2 ( c to a). Did you get the value for c:a as a number or with variables?

It might have been useful to include the original question. I don't have time right now. I will look at it tomorrow.

This must involve some fancy maneuvers, if it is possible at all. I was able to reduce the single equation we get after eliminating ##b## to the forms:

##(a-2c)^2 = 8c-4##

or

##(2c-2)^2 = 4ac-a^2##

I don't see any way to get ##\frac{c}{a}## out of either of these.

Likes Biker

I wonder if you have left some information out of the problem statement because I get two solutions by brute force search:

## [a,b,c] = [1/4,1/2,5/8] ##
## [a,b,c] = [1,2,5/2] ##

Both of these give ##c/a = 5/2## and both sets fit the given progressions. Additionally, these sets fit the progressions but yields the wrong ##c/a## ratio:

## [a,b,c] = [4,2,1] ##
## [a,b,c] = [16,14,13] ##

These observations lead me to think there is more to the story than was given here. Is there something missing?

mfig said:
I wonder if you have left some information out of the problem statement because I get two solutions by brute force search:

## [a,b,c] = [1/4,1/2,5/8] ##
## [a,b,c] = [1,2,5/2] ##

Both of these give ##c/a = 5/2## and both sets fit the given progressions. Additionally, these sets fit the progressions but yields the wrong ##c/a## ratio:

## [a,b,c] = [4,2,1] ##
## [a,b,c] = [16,14,13] ##

These observations lead me to think there is more to the story than was given here. Is there something missing?

Apparently, When the teacher gave me the question the he missed some variables in the geometric sequences. Sorry for inconvenience

1. How do I solve 2 simultaneous equations?

To solve 2 simultaneous equations, you need to use a method called substitution or elimination. In substitution, you solve one equation for one variable and substitute it into the other equation. In elimination, you manipulate the equations to eliminate one variable and solve for the other.

2. What is the difference between substitution and elimination?

The main difference between substitution and elimination is the way they approach solving the equations. Substitution involves replacing one variable with an equivalent expression, while elimination involves manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable and solve for the other.

3. Can I use any method to solve 2 simultaneous equations?

Yes, you can use any method to solve 2 simultaneous equations as long as you follow the rules of algebra and maintain the equality of the equations. Some commonly used methods include substitution, elimination, graphing, and matrices.

4. How do I know if my solution is correct for 2 simultaneous equations?

You can check if your solution is correct by substituting the values into both equations and ensuring that they satisfy both equations. If the values work for both equations, then your solution is correct.

5. Can I solve 3 or more simultaneous equations using the same methods?

Yes, the same methods of substitution and elimination can be used to solve 3 or more simultaneous equations. However, as the number of equations increases, the process becomes more complex and may require advanced techniques such as Gaussian elimination or Cramer's rule.