How are the x1 and x4 values determined in the solution to the matrix equation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
kostoglotov
Messages
231
Reaction score
6
Hi, rapid fire posting in this subforum I know, sorry if that's annoying. Let me know if I should space my posts out a bit more.

Here's an image of the solution to a worked example (from Intro to Linear Algebra 4th by Strang)

IG6r15H.jpg


here's the imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/IG6r15H.jpg

I cannot figure out what the underlined (underlining added by me) sentences mean:

"The first and last rows give x2 and x3. Then the middle rows give x1 and x4."

How do the middle rows only give x1 and x4? Is this the result of treating this as a system of simultaneous equations rather than linear combinations? That's the only explanation I can find at the moment. Mostly I don't know what the author's intended meaning is.

I could find all the x's by solving simultaneous equations, but would that be how the author has done it, or has Strang found the x's a different way?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What the author describes IS the solving of the 'simultaneous' equations :
##x_2 = b_1 \\
x_3-x_1 = b_2\\
x_4 - x_2 = b_3\\
-x_3 = b_4 ##​

we humans don't do 'simultaneously: we see that this means that

first and last rows give x2 and x3 and THEN the middle rows give x1 and x4.​

Thereby Cx = b has been solved, and that can only be the case if C is invertible (x = C-1 b).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: kostoglotov
Solving the system of simultaneous equations just means that the same solution should be valid for all equations.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: kostoglotov