Algebra questions, (emergency)

• Thread starter futurebird
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, for the first question, the answer is 2 because there are only two possible homomorphisms from the integers to itself: the identity mapping and the mapping where every element is multiplied by 2. For the second question, if the group G is finite, then the image of the group under a homomorphism must also be finite and its order will be a divisor of the order of G. This is because the image of a homomorphism has the same structure as the group it is contained in.
futurebird
1. How many homomorphism are there of [tex]\mathbb{Z}[/tex] onto [tex]\mathbb{Z}[/tex]?

Answer from the book: 2

I don't know why this is the answer! Is it because the only homomorphism possible are [tex]\phi(x) = x[/tex] and [tex]\phi(x) = e [/tex] (where e is the identity) ?

Anything else won't work, for example: if
[tex]\phi(x)=2x[/tex]

then [tex]\phi(xy) = 2xy[/tex]

and [tex]\phi(x)\phi(y) = 2x2y[/tex]

[tex]2xy \neq 2x2y.[/tex] ?

Or should I be using additive notation because [tex]\mathbb{Z}[/tex] is the set of integers?

:confused:

Okay next question:

2. Let [tex]\phi: G \rightarrow G'[/tex] be a group homomorphism. Show that if [tex]|G|[/tex] is finite, then [tex]|\phi[G]|[/tex] is finite and is a divisor of [tex]|G|[/tex].

Homomorphisms don't need to be one-to-one or onto, so I'm havinga hard time seeing why this must be true. Why can't each element in G map to an infinite number of items in G'? My book uses a diagram that suggests that this kind of mapping is like a projection to the x axis, so the set G may have two dimensions, but the set G' has only one. I don't see why this has to be the case, though ...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. First, the integers aren't even a group under multiplication. So you should be using addition as your operation. Under addition the integers are an (infinite) cyclic group. What does that tell you?

2. I'm not sure what you mean by mapping to an infinite number of items. But for the first part you can ignore that it's a homomorphism, how big can the image of a finite set under some function be? For the second part, you have to assume G' is finite to make sense of the order of the image being a divisor of the order of G'. As for why it divides, what structure does the image of a homomorphism have in the group in which it's contained?

What is algebra and why is it important?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations. It is important because it helps us understand and solve real-world problems, and is the basis for more advanced math concepts.

What are the basic operations in algebra?

The basic operations in algebra are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations are used to manipulate equations and solve for unknown variables.

How can I solve algebraic equations?

To solve an algebraic equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using the basic operations and following the order of operations. Then, you can simplify the equation and solve for the variable.

What are the common types of algebraic equations?

The most common types of algebraic equations are linear equations (with one variable), quadratic equations (with two variables), and systems of equations (with multiple variables). There are also more advanced types, such as exponential and logarithmic equations.

What are some tips for solving algebraic problems?

Some tips for solving algebraic problems include: identifying and understanding the problem, writing down the given information and what you are trying to solve for, using the correct operations and order of operations, and checking your work to make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.