1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra solution containing trig?

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1
    I was calculating some numbers, revolving around a sphere and some integration.

The case was to find out for what x-value a spherical bowl with a radius of 5m was half filled.

After doing the algebra, I narrowed it down to

[tex] x^3 - 15x^2 + 125 = 0 [/tex]

Now, my calculator says that the solution to this equation is.

[tex] x = 5 \sqrt{3}\sin\left(\frac{\pi }{9} \right) -5 \cos\left( \frac{\pi }{9} \right) +5 [/tex]

How do you figure that out? Kept trying a few variable changes, but nothing comes to mind.

Ofcourse this polynomial have more solutions, but this is the only solution where 0<x<5 the other ones where -2.2 and 14.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2011 #2
    where is x? where is the origin? If it was me, I would have placed the origin in the center of the sphere and then for x=0, the sphere should be half full?

4. Aug 4, 2011 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_function

There is a section on the trigonometric method for the solution of a cubic eq. toward the bottom of the article.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook