Algebra solution containing trig?

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the x-value for a spherical bowl with a radius of 5m that is half filled. After some algebra, the equation x^3 - 15x^2 + 125 = 0 was narrowed down. The solution to this equation was found to be x = 5\sqrt{3}\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{9}\right) - 5\cos\left(\frac{\pi}{9}\right) + 5. The conversation also mentioned the placement of the origin and suggested using the trigonometric method as described in the article provided.
Nebuchadnezza
I was calculating some numbers, revolving around a sphere and some integration.

The case was to find out for what x-value a spherical bowl with a radius of 5m was half filled.

After doing the algebra, I narrowed it down to

[tex] x^3 - 15x^2 + 125 = 0 [/tex]

Now, my calculator says that the solution to this equation is.

[tex] x = 5 \sqrt{3}\sin\left(\frac{\pi }{9} \right) -5 \cos\left( \frac{\pi }{9} \right) +5 [/tex]

How do you figure that out? Kept trying a few variable changes, but nothing comes to mind.

Ofcourse this polynomial have more solutions, but this is the only solution where 0<x<5 the other ones where -2.2 and 14.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
where is x? where is the origin? If it was me, I would have placed the origin in the center of the sphere and then for x=0, the sphere should be half full?

Try this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_function

There is a section on the trigonometric method for the solution of a cubic eq. toward the bottom of the article.

1. What is the difference between algebra and trigonometry?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with equations and their solutions, while trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between angles and sides of triangles.

2. How can I use trigonometric identities to solve algebraic equations?

Trigonometric identities can be used to simplify and manipulate algebraic equations involving trigonometric functions. By substituting the identities into the equation, you can often reduce the complexity and solve for the unknown variable.

3. When should I use trigonometry in algebraic problems?

Trigonometry is often used in algebraic problems involving triangles, circular motion, or periodic functions. It can also be used to find missing angles or sides in a geometric figure.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving algebraic equations with trigonometric functions?

One common mistake is forgetting to use the correct trigonometric identities or formulas. It is also important to pay attention to the domain and range of the trigonometric functions and make sure they are applicable to the given problem.

5. Can I use trigonometry to solve all types of algebraic equations?

No, trigonometry is only applicable to certain types of algebraic equations, such as those involving trigonometric functions or geometric figures. It is important to understand when and how to use trigonometry in order to solve algebraic problems correctly.