Algebra word problem: the angle between the hands of a clock

At what time between 2 and 3 o'clock will the angle between the hands of the clock be bisected by the line connecting the center of the clock and the 3 o'clock mark? In summary, the question is asking for the specific time, represented by x minutes after 2 o'clock, when the angle between the hands of the clock will be bisected by the line connecting the center of the clock and the 3 o'clock mark. The unknown in this problem is the value of x.
bergausstein
1. What time between 2 and 3 o’clock will the angle between the hands of the clock be bisected by the line connecting the center of the clock and the 3 o’clock mark?

can you rephrase for me the question. what's the unknown here? please help thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Algebra word problem.

bergausstein said:
1. What time between 2 and 3 o’clock will the angle between the hands of the clock be bisected by the line connecting the center of the clock and the 3 o’clock mark?

can you rephrase for me the question. what's the unknown here? please help thanks!

View attachment 1661

The unknown is the number of minutes x after 2 o'clock.

Attachments

• clock_between_2_and_3.png
    clock_between_2_and_3.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 50

1. What is the formula for finding the angle between the hands of a clock?

The formula for finding the angle between the hands of a clock is |(30h - 5.5m)|, where h is the hour hand and m is the minute hand.

2. How do I determine which hand is the hour hand and which is the minute hand?

The hour hand is the shorter hand and the minute hand is the longer hand on a clock. The hour hand also moves at a slower pace than the minute hand, with one full rotation every 12 hours compared to the minute hand's one full rotation every 60 minutes.

3. Can the angle between the hands of a clock be negative?

No, the angle between the hands of a clock is always positive, as it represents the shortest distance between the two hands.

4. How do I know if the angle between the hands of a clock is acute, right, or obtuse?

If the angle is less than 90 degrees, it is acute. If it is exactly 90 degrees, it is right. If it is greater than 90 degrees, it is obtuse.

5. Can I use the same formula for finding the angle between the hands of a digital clock?

No, the formula for finding the angle between the hands of a clock only applies to analog clocks with hour and minute hands. Digital clocks do not have hands and therefore do not have an angle between them.