Angle between the hands of a clock (IWTSE)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of angles for a clock with hands at right angles to each other. The value '2n-1' is chosen as the multiplier for pi/2 to represent odd integers, since delta theta = 270 degrees still results in perpendicular hands. Calculating for m=0, 1, 2, ... helps to find the correct value for the angle.
TomK
Homework Statement
Question: For a conventional clock, how many times does the minute hand make a right angle with the hour hand in one day (between midnight on two consecutive days)?
Relevant Equations
Circle formulae.
IWTSE - Clock Working.jpg

I understand this working all the way up until the '2n-1' part, where n is a positive integer.

I understand that delta theta is 90 degrees (i.e. pi/2 radians), as the hands are at right angles to each other.. I also understand where the angle equations are derived from and why you have to find the difference between them. I just don't know why '2n-1' was chosen as the multiplier for pi/2. Would someone be able to explain this?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Try calculating ##m\frac \pi 2## for ##m=0, 1, 2, \dots##. Which values of ##m## correspond to the angles you're looking for here?

vela said:
Try calculating ##m\frac \pi 2## for ##m=0, 1, 2, \dots##. Which values of ##m## correspond to the angles you're looking for here?

Thank you. I now understand that '2n-1' (or '2n+1') is meant to represent an odd integer, since if delta theta = 270 degrees the hands are still perpendicular. I got an answer of 44.5 (or 43.5, depending on the expression used) which rounds to 44, the correct answer.

1. What is the angle between the hands of a clock?

The angle between the hands of a clock is the angle formed by the hour hand and the minute hand at any given time. It is measured in degrees and changes as the hands move around the clock.

2. How do you calculate the angle between the hands of a clock?

The formula for calculating the angle between the hands of a clock is: 30 * |H * 60 - 11 * M| / 2, where H is the hour and M is the minutes. This formula takes into consideration the fact that the hour hand moves 30 degrees per hour and the minute hand moves 6 degrees per minute.

3. What is the maximum angle between the hands of a clock?

The maximum angle between the hands of a clock is 180 degrees. This occurs when the hands are directly opposite each other, such as at 6:00 or 12:00.

4. How often do the hands of a clock form a right angle?

The hands of a clock form a right angle twice a day, at approximately 1:05 and 11:05. This is because the hour hand moves slightly faster than the minute hand, resulting in a difference of 30 degrees between them.

5. Does the angle between the hands of a clock change throughout the day?

Yes, the angle between the hands of a clock changes constantly throughout the day as the hands move around the clock at different speeds. The only time it remains constant is at 12:00 and 6:00, when the hands are either aligned or opposite each other.