1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra Word Problem - practice problems

1. May 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem goes like this: The sum of 2 numbers is 25. If 2/3 of the smaller one is 2 more than 1/4 of the larger one, find the 2 numbers.

Any hints on how to start off this one? What should I let x= be?

When i attempted to solve this i let 2/3x = the smaller number and then the other number is 1/4(2/3x+2) well that's how i understood this problem and after that the solution looked really bad, i got really large fractions as an answer.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2015 #2
    Let ##x## be the smaller number and ##y## be the larger number. Can you now try to frame some equations?

4. May 23, 2015 #3
    ahh thank you very much well i'll try it.

5. May 23, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The problem said 2/3 of the smaller number. Setting "2/3x = the smaller number" says that the smaller number IS 2/3 of some other number. You have it backwards.

6. May 24, 2015 #5
    so basically i might have switched the two numbers is that what you're implying? ohhh i see gotta try it :)

7. May 24, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Seems to me you reversed all three operations, the 2/3, the +2, and the 1/4.

8. May 25, 2015 #7
    oh thanks for all of your hints i finally solve it. i forgot the role of 25 there so the setting was let x = smaller then 25-x = the larger then set up the equation which is 2/3(x)=1/4(25-x)+2. Now to the next one :) 2]The denominator of a fraction exceeds its numerator by 5. If the numerator is multiplied by 3, and the denominator is increased by 3, the resulting fraction is equivalent to 1. Find the original fraction. ill be back tomorrow to cook up the constraints and equations any hints would be appreciated though :)

9. May 25, 2015 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Since this is a new question, please start a new thread. Be sure to use the homework template.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook