Algebra world problem involving speed and time

In summary, the problem involves finding the speeds of a jumbo jet, super-prop plane, and turbo-jet, given that the jumbo jet flies 50 miles per hour faster than the super-prop plane and the turbo-jet travels 2000 miles in 3 hours less time than the super-prop does 2800 miles. To solve this problem, create unknowns for each value and write equations relating speed, time, and distance for each plane. Then, use algebra to solve the equations and find the speeds of each plane.
Niaboc67

Homework Statement

"A jumbo flies 50 miles per hour faster than a super-prop plane. If a turbo-jet goes 2000 miles in 3 hours less time than it take the super-prop to go 2800 miles, find the speed of each plane."

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am sure this is a snap. I just forgot the method of how this is solved. I think it turns into a quadratic equation. Please explain the process that leads up to the quadratic equation if that is the way it's solved.

Physics news on Phys.org
From where did this turbo-jet come from? Is it the jumbo jet?

Assuming the turbo and the jumbo are the same thing, the method is write down equations relating speed, time and distance for both planes, as well as any equations taken from the information given in the problem and then solve them using algebra.

I understand it is a speed, time and distance type problem. However, I do not know how the problem should be written out in order to solve.

Niaboc67 said:
I understand it is a speed, time and distance type problem. However, I do not know how the problem should be written out in order to solve.
Create unknowns for each of the values mentioned, then turn each statement into an algebraic expression relating them. Post your working as far as you get.

What is the formula for calculating speed?

The formula for calculating speed is distance divided by time, or speed = distance / time.

How do I solve a problem involving speed and time in Algebra?

To solve a problem involving speed and time in Algebra, you can use the formula speed = distance / time. You will need to know two of the three variables (speed, distance, or time) in order to solve for the third.

What units should I use when working with speed and time in Algebra?

When working with speed and time in Algebra, you should use the standard units of miles per hour (mph) for speed and hours (h) for time. However, you can also use other units such as kilometers per hour (km/h) for speed and minutes (min) for time, as long as you are consistent in your calculations.

Can I use the same formula for calculating speed in different scenarios?

Yes, the formula speed = distance / time can be used to calculate speed in a variety of scenarios, such as a car traveling a certain distance in a given time, or a runner completing a race in a certain time. However, it is important to make sure that the units used for distance and time match the units used for speed.

How can I check my answer for a speed and time problem in Algebra?

You can check your answer for a speed and time problem in Algebra by using a different method to solve the problem, such as using a distance-time graph or using the formula time = distance / speed to solve for time instead of speed. You can also plug your answer back into the original equation to see if it satisfies the equation.