1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra world problem involving speed and time

1. May 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "A jumbo flies 50 miles per hour faster than a super-prop plane. If a turbo-jet goes 2000 miles in 3 hours less time than it take the super-prop to go 2800 miles, find the speed of each plane."

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am sure this is a snap. I just forgot the method of how this is solved. I think it turns into a quadratic equation. Please explain the process that leads up to the quadratic equation if that is the way it's solved.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2014 #2

adjacent

Gold Member

From where did this turbo-jet come from? Is it the jumbo jet?

4. May 17, 2014 #3
    Assuming the turbo and the jumbo are the same thing, the method is write down equations relating speed, time and distance for both planes, as well as any equations taken from the information given in the problem and then solve them using algebra.

5. May 17, 2014 #4
    I understand it is a speed, time and distance type problem. However, I do not know how the problem should be written out in order to solve.

6. May 17, 2014 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Create unknowns for each of the values mentioned, then turn each statement into an algebraic expression relating them. Post your working as far as you get.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted