Algebraic manipulation with factorials

In summary: So ##b_{n+1}=2n+2## and we can check that ##b_{n+1}=(b_n)+2## is not true.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding ##a_{n+1}/a_n## for the equation ##a_n=x^n/2^n n!## and mentions the need for simplification and checking of terms. It also highlights the importance of understanding the terms as a function of n.
NP04
Homework Statement
If 𝑎𝑛 =𝑥𝑛2𝑛𝑛! , find 𝑎𝑛+1𝑎𝑛 . See picture.
Edit by mentor:
If ##a_n = \frac{x^n}{2^n n!}##, find ##\frac {a_{n+1}}{a_n}##
Relevant Equations
Substitution
Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 3.25.02 PM.png

I substituted and got ((xn/2nn!) + 1)/(xn/2nn!). I then multiplied by 2nn! to each side and got (xn + 2nn!)/(xn). Now I am confused as to what my next step should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
NP04 said:
Problem Statement: If 𝑎𝑛 =𝑥𝑛2𝑛𝑛! , find 𝑎𝑛+1𝑎𝑛 . See picture.
Relevant Equations: Substitution

View attachment 247799

I substituted and got ((xn/2nn!) + 1)/(xn/2nn!). I then multiplied by 2nn! to each side and got (xn + 2nn!)/(xn). Now I am confused as to what my next step should be.
You can simplify ##\frac{x^n}{2^n}## to ##\left(\frac x 2\right)^n##. When you are calculating ##\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}##, you'll have a fraction divided by a fraction. Keep in mind that ##\frac{a/b}{c/d}## is the same as ##\frac a b\cdot \frac d c##

NP04 said:
I substituted and got ##((x_n/2^n n!) + 1)##

Wait, you're saying that the ##(n+1)##-th term is found by adding 1 to the ##n##-th term? Are you sure about that?

You might want to check a few terms. Evaluate ##a_1##, ##a_2## and ##a_3## and see if you think that's still true.

What you found is wrong, here's what you did :
$$\frac{\frac{x^n}{2^nn!}+1}{\frac{x^n}{2^nn!}}=\frac{(a_n)+1}{a_n}$$
To put it simply, you interpreted ##a_{n+1}## as ##(a_n)+1##. The way you should look at ##a_n## is ##a=f(n)##.
Let's take, for example, ##b_n=2n##, this means that ##b## is a function of ##n##, or ##b=f(n)=2n##. Should we try to find ##b_{n+1}##, what we'll do is plug ##n+1## in ##f##, namely we'll compute ##f(n+1)## which is ##f(n+1)=2(n+1)=2n+2##.

Last edited:

What is algebraic manipulation with factorials?

Algebraic manipulation with factorials is the process of simplifying and solving equations involving factorials, which are mathematical expressions denoted by an exclamation mark and used to represent the number of ways a certain number of items can be arranged.

What are the basic rules for manipulating factorials in algebra?

The basic rules for manipulating factorials in algebra include the distributive property, the commutative property, and the associative property. These rules allow us to rearrange and simplify equations involving factorials.

What is the difference between expanding and simplifying factorials?

Expanding factorials refers to writing out the full expression, while simplifying factorials involves reducing the expression to its simplest form. Expanding is necessary when solving equations, while simplifying is useful for evaluating expressions.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when manipulating factorials?

Some common mistakes to avoid when manipulating factorials include forgetting to distribute the factorial to all terms in an equation, forgetting to apply the commutative or associative property, and incorrectly applying the rules of exponents.

How can algebraic manipulation with factorials be applied in real-life situations?

Algebraic manipulation with factorials can be applied in real-life situations such as calculating the number of possible combinations of items in a set, determining the number of ways a group of people can be seated at a table, or solving problems involving probability and permutations.