Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebraic Multiplicity of an Eigenvalue

1. Apr 13, 2015 #1
    Please have a look at the attached images.I am attempting a proof for the statement : The algebraic multiplicity of an eigen value λ is equal to dim null [T - λ I] dim V.

Please advise me on how to move ahead. Apparently, I am at the final inference required for a proof but unable to move ahead. Thank you very much for your help in this regard.

Reference : To know how results (2) and (3) in the images come, you may please have a look at this ebook - pg 165, http://fetweb.ju.edu.jo/staff/EE/jrahhal/PDF/sc%20-%20Linear%20Algebra%20Done%20Right.pdf [Broken]

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      71.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      91.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2015 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In my experience, the definition you gave is of the _geometric _ multiplicity, not the algebraic one. The two multiplicities may or may not coincide.

4. Apr 13, 2015 #3
    Thank you for the answer. The notes which I have say that the number of times λ appears on the diagonal of an upper triangular matrix is equal to dim null [T - λ I] dim V. Do you think there is error in this statement as well?"

I have actually attempted the proof to prove this statement. Sorry about incorrectly saying it equal to algebraic multiplicity

5. Apr 13, 2015 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, sorry, I did not see the exponent dimV in your post , at first. In my experience, the geometric multiplicity of ## \lambda ## is the dimension of null## [T- \lambda I] ##. The algebraic multiplicity of ## \lambda ## is the multiplicity of the exponent of ##\lambda## in the factorization of ## A-cI ##.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  6. Apr 13, 2015 #5
    No problem :) . Do you think I made a good attempt at the proof? I just think i got stuck in the last stage of the proof

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook