Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Any good sites for learning math?

Tags:
  1. May 28, 2006 #1
    I starting in actuarial mathematics in September, so I would like to get ahead a bit and do some learning on my own. These are my obligatory courses:

So if anyone knows a good place where I could get ahead and start learning any of these topics, please go ahead and post it.

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2006 #2
    It would be a good idea to search for the best textbooks thread I think.

Here is a link worth bookmarking.
    http://www.geocities.com/alex_stef/mylist.html

This is also excellent, download the pdf titled Advanced Calculus
    http://www.math.harvard.edu/~shlomo/

Chapters 1 and 2 of that book cover quite a bit of linear algebra. I think some exposure to the theory of Calculus of a single variable is very useful before reading the rest of it though.

Some good books worth buying are Calculus by Michael Spivak and Linear Algebra Done Right by Sheldon Axler. Both are excellent.

4. May 29, 2006 #3
    Judging by the description, I've already covered all the topics in Advanced calculus I and II and I have covered some linear algebra, so I think the latter, as well as probability, analysis, and statistics are the topics that I haven't seen before.

5. May 29, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As a supplementary reference, if you need to check definitions at any point, there's always Mathworld .

6. May 29, 2006 #5

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What about..PF?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?