Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebraic Topology - Retractions and Homomorpisms Induced by Inclusions

1. Jul 7, 2012 #1
    I am reading Munkres book on Topology, Part II - Algegraic Topology Chapter 9 on the Fundamental Group.

On page 348 Munkres gives the following Lemma concerned with the homomorphism of fundamental groups induced by inclusions":

" Lemma 55.1. If A is a retract of X, then the homomorphism of fundamental groups induced by inclusion [itex] j: A \rightarrow X [/itex] is injective"

I am struggling with the proof - not so much intuitively - but in formulating a formal and explicit proof.

Because explaining my postion requires diagrams I have set out my problem in an attachment - see the attachment "Retractions and Induced Homomorphisms.

I have also provided an attachement of the relevant pages of Munkres book

I would like as much as anything a confirmation that my reasoning in the attachment "Problem ... ... " is correct. I would also be most interested to see how to formulate a formal and explicit proof of the Lemma

Peter

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2012 #2

lavinia

Science Advisor

The inclusion of A in X followed by the retract map is the identity on A

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook