Alkaline phenol + chloroethanoic acid

In summary, the conversation discusses the addition of chloroethanoic acid to an alkaline solution of phenol and the resulting organic product. It is determined that a displacement reaction occurs, with the phenoxide ion being displaced into phenol and the ethanoate anion being formed. It is also noted that base-catalyzed esterification reactions do not occur with phenols and carboxylic acids.
Kushal

Homework Statement

chloroethanoic acid is added to an alkaline solution of phenol. Give the structural formula of the organic product formed and state what type of reaction takes place.

it is from a past exam paper and i got no one to check my answer, which I'm a bit unsure of.

The Attempt at a Solution

i believe a displacement reaction occurs. chloroethanoic acid is stronger than phenol. the phenoxide anion(phenol in alkaline solution) will be displaced into phenol, and the ethanoate anion will be formed.

is it that which happens, or another reaction. i don't know if esterification might occur with chloroethanoic acid because it doesn't occur with carboxylic acids.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your analysis is correct. Phenoxide ion must be at a pH of roughly 9 or 10 and chloroethanoic acid is a stronger acid (lower pKa) than plain ethanoic acid. Do you know of any base-catalyzed esterification reactions?

Note: this example is not a transesterification reaction...

nopes, i never heard of that?! (yet)

i tried googling a lil bit - no results. what i learned is that phenols are too unreactive for esterification using carboxylic acids.

1. What is the chemical formula for alkaline phenol + chloroethanoic acid?

The chemical formula for alkaline phenol is C6H5OH and the chemical formula for chloroethanoic acid is CH3COOH. When combined, the chemical formula for alkaline phenol + chloroethanoic acid is C6H5OH + CH3COOH.

2. What is the pH of a solution containing alkaline phenol + chloroethanoic acid?

The pH of a solution containing alkaline phenol + chloroethanoic acid will depend on the concentration of each compound. Generally, this solution will have a slightly acidic pH due to the presence of chloroethanoic acid, which is a weak acid.

3. What is the purpose of combining alkaline phenol and chloroethanoic acid?

The purpose of combining alkaline phenol and chloroethanoic acid is to create a solution that can be used in DNA extraction and purification processes. The alkaline phenol helps to denature proteins and the chloroethanoic acid helps to remove contaminants from the DNA.

4. How is alkaline phenol + chloroethanoic acid used in DNA extraction?

Alkaline phenol + chloroethanoic acid is typically used in a phenol-chloroform extraction method to isolate DNA from a sample. The solution is added to the sample and the mixture is then centrifuged. The DNA will separate into the organic layer, while proteins and other contaminants will remain in the aqueous layer.

5. Is alkaline phenol + chloroethanoic acid safe to handle in a laboratory setting?

Alkaline phenol + chloroethanoic acid can be hazardous to handle in a laboratory setting and proper safety precautions should be taken. Both compounds can irritate the skin, eyes, and respiratory system. It is important to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling this solution.