Carboxylation of sodium phenolate

• Thread starter espen180
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sodium
In summary, when sodium phenolate reacts with carbon dioxide and then acid, an electrophilic aromatic substitution mechanism is expected due to the positive partial charge on the carbon atom in CO2. The resulting products will be 2-hydroxybenzoic acid (ortho-hydroxybenzoic acid) and 4-hydroxybenzoic acid (para-hydroxybenzoic acid) in a ratio of approximately 66% and 33%, respectively. The -ONa group, being electron withdrawing, makes only the ortho and para positions susceptible to the reaction. The acid will remove the sodium and protonate the oxygen, forming an alcohol group.
espen180

Homework Statement

Predict the products and reaction mechanism when sodium phenolate reacts with carbon doixide, then acid.

Homework Equations

Sodium phenolate: Ph-ONa
Carbon Dioxide: O=C=O

The Attempt at a Solution

The carbon atom in CO2 has a positive partial charge, so I expect an electrophilic aromatic substitution mechanism. The hydrogen which is released will protonate one of the oxygen atoms and make a carboxy group. The result is a carboxylation of the original compound. The -ONa group is electron withdrawing, so only the orto and para positions are susceptible. Then, the acid will remove the sodium and protonate the oxygen to form an alcohol group.

The products will then be orto-hydroxybenzoic acid, or 2-hydroxybenzoic acid, and para-hydroxybenzoic acid, or 4-hydroxybenzoic acid. I expect roughly 66% orto and 33% para among the products.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
espen180 said:

Homework Statement

Predict the products and reaction mechanism when sodium benzoate reacts with carbon doixide, then acid.

Homework Equations

Sodium benzoate: Ph-ONa
Carbon Dioxide: O=C=O

The Attempt at a Solution

The carbon atom in CO2 has a positive partial charge, so I expect an electrophilic aromatic substitution mechanism. The hydrogen which is released will protonate one of the oxygen atoms and make a carboxy group. The result is a carboxylation of the original compound. The -ONa group is electron withdrawing, so only the orto and para positions are susceptible. Then, the acid will remove the sodium and protonate the oxygen to form an alcohol group.

The products will then be orto-hydroxybenzoic acid, or 2-hydroxybenzoic acid, and para-hydroxybenzoic acid, or 4-hydroxybenzoic acid. I expect roughly 66% orto and 33% para among the products.

2 things spring to mind, 1) PhONa is not sodium benzoate. 2) are you sure about your directive effects?

Last edited by a moderator:
1) A mistake on my part. The problem gave the structure, not the name. It should be sodium phenolate. I'll correct the opening post.

2) About the regiochemistry, my thinking is that since the hydroxy group is orto/para-directive, then a -ONa group should be so too, even more so, since the electronegativity of Na is less than that of H, meaning more electron density near the oxygen.

espen180 said:
1) A mistake on my part. The problem gave the structure, not the name. It should be sodium phenolate. I'll correct the opening post.

2) About the regiochemistry, my thinking is that since the hydroxy group is orto/para-directive, then a -ONa group should be so too, even more so, since the electronegativity of Na is less than that of H, meaning more electron density near the oxygen.

Fair enough. My point two was based on the structure being benzoate, rather than phenolate. You may also want to, if you still can, amend the title of the thread as well :)

sjb-2812 said:
You may also want to, if you still can, amend the title of the thread as well :)

Espen can't :wink:

What is carboxylation of sodium phenolate?

Carboxylation of sodium phenolate is a chemical reaction in which carbon dioxide is added to sodium phenolate, a compound commonly found in aspirin, to form salicylic acid.

What is the purpose of carboxylation of sodium phenolate?

The purpose of carboxylation of sodium phenolate is to convert it into salicylic acid, which has various applications in the pharmaceutical, cosmetic, and food industries.

What are the steps involved in carboxylation of sodium phenolate?

The first step is the formation of sodium phenolate, followed by the addition of carbon dioxide to form the intermediate compound, sodium salicylate. This is then acidified to form salicylic acid.

What are the conditions required for carboxylation of sodium phenolate?

Carboxylation of sodium phenolate typically requires the use of a catalyst, such as sodium hydroxide, and a source of carbon dioxide. The reaction is usually carried out at high temperatures and pressures.

What are the applications of salicylic acid produced through carboxylation of sodium phenolate?

Salicylic acid has various applications, including as a pain reliever, anti-inflammatory agent, and in skincare products for its exfoliating and anti-acne properties. It is also used in the production of dyes, fragrances, and preservatives.