1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

All Eigenfunctions can be Represented by a Linear Superposition

1. Jun 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The time-independent wave function ##\psi (x)## can always be taken to be real (unlike ##\Psi (x,t)##, which is necessarily complex). This doesn't mean that every solution to the time-independent Schödinger equation is real; what it says is that if you've got one that is not, it can always be expressed as a linear combination of solutions (with the same energy) that are. So you might as well stick to ##\psi##'s that are real. Hint: If ##\psi (x)## satisfies Equation 2.5, for a given E, So too does its complex conjugate. and hence also the real linear combinations ##(\psi +\psi^*)## and ##i(\psi - \psi^*)##.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

Does not any two ##\psi##'s of the same energy level form a subspace of the total general function ##\Psi## that covers all of that subspace? That is if you put a real coefficient in front of one, and an imaginary coefficient in front of the other, you have the ability to make a vector that touches *every* point of that subspace. This seems self evident to me, and I don't understand why there needs to any kind of formal proof that involves plugging this in to Schrödingers equation.

Agreed, or am I missing something?

Chris

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... well isn;t that most of what you have to prove?

Note: the wavefunctions cannot be just any old functions, they have to be solutons to the schrodinger equation - so what is true for any old functions may not be true for psi's.

You have been thinking about this problem backwards - of course if you start by defining the eigenfunctons as a subspace of the overall function then the answer is self evident - to do a proof you cannot assume that.
    You have to start from the definition of the eigenfunctions and of the general function, and demonstrate that they have this relationship.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted