All-in-one product to remotely switch AC outlet?

In summary, I am looking for a UL Certified product that includes a SPDT switch, relay and transformer to plug into a standard 110V 15A outlet. The relay would be energized by the low voltage from the transformer and activated by the SPDT switch which would then switch a 110V AC output. The switch would need to be mounted externally away from the device.
rmunday
Similarly to air switches in hot tubs, I am looking for a UL Certified product that includes a SPDT switch, relay and transformer to plug into a standard 110V 15A outlet. The relay would be energized by the low voltage from the transformer and activated by the SPDT switch which would then switch a 110V AC output. The switch would need to be mounted externally away from the device.

Engineering news on Phys.org
rmunday said:
Similarly to air switches in hot tubs, I am looking for a UL Certified product that includes a SPDT switch, relay and transformer to plug into a standard 110V 15A outlet. The relay would be energized by the low voltage from the transformer and activated by the SPDT switch which would then switch a 110V AC output. The switch would need to be mounted externally away from the device.

Welcome to the PF.

I used Google Images to search on Remote Power Switch, and got lots of hits, including some SmartHome options:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...tch&gbv=2&aq=0&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=remote+power+sw

See if you can find what you want in that hit list.

I've done some extensive searching already and everything I've found either has the switch mounted directly on the device or is wireless. The switch must be hard-wired and separate from the device.

rmunday said:
I've done some extensive searching already and everything I've found either has the switch mounted directly on the device or is wireless. The switch must be hard-wired and separate from the device.

How long do you want the switch wire to be?

Minimum 15 feet I guess.

Well, I went a few pages into the Google Images search that I linked, and I see your point.

So I tried a different search, since pool pumps run on AC Mains power, and may need a wired remote control to turn them on an off. This hit list seems to have some candidates, but I don't know it they would fit what you're looking for:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...+remote+wired+power+switch&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Hope it helps some.

Man, there really isn't anything out there to control an outlet with an electric switch and a relay without building it myself.

We're going to go with a hot tub/garbage disposal air switch. $35 gives UL certification and 25A rating.

Thanks for the help though.

1. What is an "all-in-one" product for remotely switching AC outlets?

An "all-in-one" product for remotely switching AC outlets is a device that combines a remote control and a power outlet switch into one unit. It allows you to control the on and off function of an electrical outlet from a distance, without having to physically interact with the outlet itself.

2. How does an all-in-one product for remotely switching AC outlets work?

The all-in-one product uses radio frequency (RF) technology to send signals between the remote control and the outlet switch. When the remote control is pressed, it sends a signal to the outlet switch, which then turns the power on or off.

3. What are the benefits of using an all-in-one product for remotely switching AC outlets?

The main benefit of using an all-in-one product is convenience. It allows you to control the power to your devices without having to physically reach the outlet. This can be especially useful for hard-to-reach outlets or for people with mobility issues. It can also be a safety feature, as it eliminates the need to touch potentially hazardous outlets.

4. Are all all-in-one products for remotely switching AC outlets the same?

No, there are different types of all-in-one products available. Some may have multiple outlets and remotes, while others may have additional features such as timers or scheduling options. It is important to research and compare different products to find the one that best fits your needs.

5. Can I use an all-in-one product to remotely switch any type of AC outlet?

Most all-in-one products are designed to work with standard AC outlets. However, it is important to check the product specifications to ensure compatibility. Some products may not work with specialized outlets, such as GFCI outlets or outlets with high voltage requirements.