Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

All major cities should do this if it works

1. Jul 30, 2007 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2007 #2
    And when other birds start eating from the feeders as well?

Maybe some endagered species, it would be nice to get rid of them too, huh?
  4. Jul 30, 2007 #3
    That could pose a problem. How many endangered species of bird are there in downtown new york?
  5. Jul 30, 2007 #4
    I don't know, but the report doesn't mention any consideration of collateral damage. Studies would have to be done for each city it was implemented in, to make sure you aren't harming other bird populations.
  6. Jul 30, 2007 #5

Gold Member

I'm concerned about the effects on other species too. I wonder if the thing only works on pigeons.

If the hormones enter watercourses they could affect a much wider area (& range of birds) than intended.
  7. Jul 30, 2007 #6
    I agree. What do pidgeons feed on? Trash? Insects? Would then the trash in the city increase? The insect population? Do the pidgeons feed any other animals? Rats? Will other animals dependent on the pidgeon population become more invasive due to a changing eco system?

I guess we let hollywood try first and see what happens.
  8. Jul 30, 2007 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think this is a particularly great idea for some of the reasons mentioned by others. Doesn't seem like too much thought went into the idea.
  9. Jul 30, 2007 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It interferes with hatching of eggs, so wouldn't be useful for mammals I don't think...but I'm not sure the mechanism, so it may interfere in some way with the oocytes...but if it can affect rats and mice, then it's also going to affect other mammals.

I'd be very concerned about the same thing. You have no control over what species land on rooftops. I don't know enough about this stuff, but it sounds like something that would affect any bird species that ingests it (and I really have no idea what effect it might have on any other species).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?