All the types of food and/or drinks that the body needs?

• Thread starter timeuser84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body Food
In summary: It's 'it's'; not 'its' when it's a contraction, and not a possessive; and yes, I have learned some Latin, I'm not especially good at Greek, but I have learned some Greek, too; I'm pretty good at speaking and writing what IBM calls US English.
timeuser84
Hi, Questions in the title. I figure it might be like the food pyramid that I learned in grade school however I am not sure and of course to save time by avoiding all the BS out there, I came to ask here as I have done in previous threads. by foods and drinks, I mean for example: protein, fiber, healthy fat.

Likes sysprog
Biology news on Phys.org
Hello. The base of the food pyramid is carbohydrates and then fruits/vegs (fiber and vitamins), meat/dairy (protein), sweets/fats. The base is what you need most of and then less quantities as you go higher. It is best to hydrate with water. I've been boiling water for consumption since the outbreak. Gatorade, soda, tea are not bad. I would include a multivitamin if you don't like eating fruits/vegetables.

Likes sysprog
Short answer - yes, use the food pyramid.

Try to avoid "food science prepared" meals -
When the ingredient list for something you buy to reheat or eat out of the package has more than 5 ingredients, (e.g. frozen pizza, canned spaghetti, power drinks, twinkies):
Then no. Eat something else.

The shelf stability, safety, and ease of use of those products is wonderful. The nutrition is not wonderful.

Likes sysprog
Lipoprotein analysis is very complicated -- it makes me 'carsick' (as if I'm experiencing travel sickness because my brain is working too hard) when I read it -- I suggest that you should do whatever Mom says, and what specifically she means by it, when she tells you to 'please eat right' --- please carry on.

There are lots and lots of things we need but you have to consider that our needs vary depending on lots of different things. I suppose a simple pyramid might have water at the bottom, the main food groups next Carbs/Fats/Proteins then the micronutrients. Focussing on the types of food we eat might be misleading as our bodies even have the capacity to selectively absorb certain nutrients and mixing certain foods can also effect absorption.

Likes sysprog
Yes, we need water. always.

Please take note of the difference between 'affect' and 'effect', @Laroxe, especially when the word is a verb.

Last edited:
sysprog said:
Please take note of the difference between 'affect' and 'effect', @Laroxe, especially when the word is a verb.
I think this might be a problem of involvement in psychology in which the word affect has a totally different and specific meaning, so its avoided. However, your right, Mea culpa, (I hope you don't do latin) :)

Likes sysprog
Laroxe said:
I think this might be a problem of involvement in psychology in which the word affect has a totally different and specific meaning, so its avoided. However, your right, Mea culpa, (I hope you don't do latin) :)
It's 'it's'; not 'its' when it's a contraction, and not a possessive; and it's 'you're'; not 'your' when it's a contraction, and not a possessive; and yes, I have learned some Latin, I'm not especially good at Greek, but I have learned some Greek, too; I'm pretty good at speaking and writing what IBM calls US English.

Last edited:

1. What are the different types of food and drinks that the body needs?

The body needs a variety of nutrients, including carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, and minerals. These can be found in a wide range of foods and drinks such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, dairy products, and water.

2. How much of each nutrient does the body need?

The exact amount of each nutrient needed varies depending on factors such as age, gender, and activity level. However, a general guideline is to aim for a balanced diet that includes a variety of foods from each food group.

3. Can the body get all the necessary nutrients from a vegetarian or vegan diet?

Yes, a well-planned vegetarian or vegan diet can provide all the necessary nutrients for the body. However, it is important to ensure that a variety of plant-based foods are consumed to meet the body's needs for protein, iron, calcium, and other essential nutrients.

4. What happens if the body does not get all the necessary nutrients?

If the body does not receive all the necessary nutrients, it can lead to deficiencies and health problems. For example, a lack of vitamin C can cause scurvy, while a lack of iron can lead to anemia. It is important to consume a balanced diet to prevent these issues.

5. Are there any foods or drinks that the body does not need?

While all foods and drinks provide some form of nutrients, there are some that should be consumed in moderation. These include highly processed and sugary foods, as well as alcoholic beverages. It is important to limit these foods and drinks and focus on consuming more nutrient-dense options.