All the types of food and/or drinks that the body needs?

  • Thread starter Thread starter timeuser84
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Body Food
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
timeuser84
Messages
59
Reaction score
6
Hi, Questions in the title. I figure it might be like the food pyramid that I learned in grade school however I am not sure and of course to save time by avoiding all the BS out there, I came to ask here as I have done in previous threads. by foods and drinks, I mean for example: protein, fiber, healthy fat.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sysprog
Biology news on Phys.org
Hello. The base of the food pyramid is carbohydrates and then fruits/vegs (fiber and vitamins), meat/dairy (protein), sweets/fats. The base is what you need most of and then less quantities as you go higher. It is best to hydrate with water. I've been boiling water for consumption since the outbreak. Gatorade, soda, tea are not bad. I would include a multivitamin if you don't like eating fruits/vegetables.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sysprog
Short answer - yes, use the food pyramid.

Try to avoid "food science prepared" meals -
When the ingredient list for something you buy to reheat or eat out of the package has more than 5 ingredients, (e.g. frozen pizza, canned spaghetti, power drinks, twinkies):
Then no. Eat something else.

The shelf stability, safety, and ease of use of those products is wonderful. The nutrition is not wonderful.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sysprog
Lipoprotein analysis is very complicated -- it makes me 'carsick' (as if I'm experiencing travel sickness because my brain is working too hard) when I read it -- I suggest that you should do whatever Mom says, and what specifically she means by it, when she tells you to 'please eat right' --- please carry on.
 
There are lots and lots of things we need but you have to consider that our needs vary depending on lots of different things. I suppose a simple pyramid might have water at the bottom, the main food groups next Carbs/Fats/Proteins then the micronutrients. Focussing on the types of food we eat might be misleading as our bodies even have the capacity to selectively absorb certain nutrients and mixing certain foods can also effect absorption.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sysprog
Please take note of the difference between 'affect' and 'effect', @Laroxe, especially when the word is a verb.
 
Last edited:
sysprog said:
Please take note of the difference between 'affect' and 'effect', @Laroxe, especially when the word is a verb.
I think this might be a problem of involvement in psychology in which the word affect has a totally different and specific meaning, so its avoided. However, your right, Mea culpa, (I hope you don't do latin) :)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sysprog
Laroxe said:
I think this might be a problem of involvement in psychology in which the word affect has a totally different and specific meaning, so its avoided. However, your right, Mea culpa, (I hope you don't do latin) :)
It's 'it's'; not 'its' when it's a contraction, and not a possessive; and it's 'you're'; not 'your' when it's a contraction, and not a possessive; and yes, I have learned some Latin, I'm not especially good at Greek, but I have learned some Greek, too; I'm pretty good at speaking and writing what IBM calls US English.
 
Last edited: