Allowable energies for a Particle in a box

In summary: Conversely, the wavefunction with a functional form like a vibrating surface can serve as an arbitrary eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian provided that it satisfies the eigenvalue equation.
Nick.
Hi,

I am wondering about additional solutions to the particle in a box problem. In the one dimension the wave functions allowed all make sense with nodes pinned to an infinite potential barrier at either end and then divided into node increments related to the length of the box. However, in 2 or more dimensions there seam to be other solutions which I can't find a discussion or clarity on.

For example;

In a 2d equal box we could now also have wave paths at angles to the box faces. So there would be one path at 45deg to the faces with a wavelength different to those running perpendicular - but I don't see this solution discussed? There are also similar paths at 45deg where we get say a half wavelength reflected into a full wavelength (or more) - now we could assemble a wide variety of different allowable wavelengths.

Extend this principle to 3d and we would get numerous solutions.

What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Putting the origin in one corner of the 2D box, one can write the eigenfunction to be ##\psi_{mn}(x,y) = A \sin (n k_x x) \sin(mk_y y)##. Writing each of the sine term in the complex exponential form, you will get
$$\psi_{mn}(x,y) = B \left( e^{i(n k_x x+mk_y y)} -e^{i(n k_x x-mk_y y)} - e^{i(-n k_x x+mk_y y)} + e^{i(-n k_x x-mk_y y)} \right)$$.
In other words, the solution of 2D infinite box is a superposition of 2D plane waves. You also see, for a given ##m## and ##n##, there can be no reflected wave whose wavelength differs from the incoming one.

Ok let's look at the wave number kx=nπ/L for the typical wave in 1D and this 2D solution. But we could also produce a standing wave, bound at nodes, at 45deg located in the middle of the side L equal to n45π/√L/22+L/22 - where n45is a not a whole number increment from n. This solution requires the wave to follow a path - rather than fill the space - but why is that not a suitable solution ?

Nick. said:
This solution requires the wave to follow a path - rather than fill the space - but why is that not a suitable solution ?
By following a path, do you mean similar to a vibrating rope instead of a vibrating surface?

Yes - that's a great analogy. Why aren't the rope solutions suitable as well as the surface?

Wavefunction with a functional form like a vibrating rope might exist as an arbitrary wavefunction in a 2D infinite box, but it cannot serve as one of the eigenfunctions of the Hamiltonian because it doesn't satisfy the eigenvalue equation ##H\psi_{mn} = E_{mn}\psi_{mn}##.

What is the concept of "Allowable energies for a Particle in a box"?

The concept of "Allowable energies for a Particle in a box" refers to the energy levels that a particle can occupy when confined within a finite space, such as a box. These energy levels are determined by the size of the box and the properties of the particle, and are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values.

How are the allowable energies for a Particle in a box calculated?

The allowable energies for a Particle in a box are calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. This equation takes into account the size and shape of the box, as well as the properties of the particle, to determine the possible energy levels that the particle can occupy.

What is the significance of the allowable energies for a Particle in a box?

The allowable energies for a Particle in a box are significant because they provide insight into the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They also play a crucial role in understanding the electronic structure of atoms and molecules, as well as the properties of materials and their electronic band structures.

Why are the energy levels for a Particle in a box quantized?

The energy levels for a Particle in a box are quantized because of the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level. This means that the particle can only exist at certain energy levels, rather than being able to take on any value of energy. This is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has been confirmed through experimental observations.

How do the allowable energies for a Particle in a box differ from the energies in classical physics?

In classical physics, the energy of a particle is considered continuous and can take on any value. However, in quantum mechanics, the energy levels are discrete and can only take on certain values. This is a key difference between the two theories and has significant implications for our understanding of the behavior of particles at the quantum level.