Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Viability of particle in a box modeling

1. Nov 19, 2014 #1
    I've noticed that the example of a particle in a box is heavily used even for physical situations where there is no obvious box: for example when finding the degeneracy pressure in a neutron star one calculates the fermi-energy from a 3D-particle in a box.

So I wondered: is there any good reason why the particle in a box-model holds for a large variety of situations?

Does this has to do with the pauli-exclusion principle? I.e. that the position is constrained by ##\delta x \delta_p = \hbar /2## and we can think of these boxes as ##\delta x## wide?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2014 #2
    The "box" in the particle-in-a-box calculation is not necessarily a literal one with solid barriers. The "box" is the shape of the potential energy curve that confines the particle. It's a reasonable approximation for any potential that is small over some finite range before sharply increasing.

4. Nov 19, 2014 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The particle in a (rigid wall) box is a perfect theoretical example for the mathematical subleties of quantum mechanics, usually swept under the carpet when textbooks are written and students are taught.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook