Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alt. approach to Taylor series of derivative of arcsin(x)?

1. Feb 11, 2012 #1
    Hi there,

I was hammering out the coefficients for the Taylor Series expansion of [itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/itex], which proved to be quite unsatisfying, so decide to have a look around online for alt. approaches.

What I found (in addition to the method that uses the binomial theorem) was an old post here claiming that a trig sub could be used (here, post #5). However, the sub. - at least as written there, definitely doesn't line up:

[itex]x = sin(u)[/itex], which yields [itex]f(x) = sec(u)[/itex]. However the post seems to mix up the differentials, claiming: [itex]\frac{df}{dx} = \frac{df}{du}\cdot\frac{dx}{du}[/itex], which is - unless I'm entirely missing something - not correct, right? We should actually have:

[itex]\frac{df}{dx} = \frac{df}{du}\cdot\frac{du}{dx} = sec(u)tan(u)\cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} = sec(u)tan(u)\cdot\frac{1}{cos(u)}[/itex] ...

I'm hoping that I've missed something here, because the method would be stellar and super insightful if it was valid, but it seems the differentials are not handled properly - can anyone confirm this?

Cheers,

Rax

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2012 #2
    Many views - any thoughts?!

Would be very appreciative of a confirmation from anyone and/or thoughts/perspectives that might lend alternative insight.

Kind regards,

Rax

4. Feb 13, 2012 #3

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook